Railroad Forums 

• Whats your favorite LIRR picture

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#17603  by Legio X

Anything with Century 420's 222-229 in blue/yellow or blue/white pulling freight.

#17751  by jhdeasy

Probably this mid 1960s image of some lucky people passing through Brightwaters, enroute from New York City to a weekend in the Hamptons, seated in director's chairs on the observation platform of LIRR 2038 SETAUKET on the rear of the heavyweight (parlor cars only) Cannonball.

Photo/scan by Steve Hoskins.

Parlor car service by Walter F. McNamara, LIRR.

http://www.mindspring.com/~jhdeasy/lirr ... uket_5.jpg

#17758  by thrdkilr

I believe thats Mineola...

#17765  by LI Loco

That's the good life. Going to the Hamptons in style.

#17770  by JoeLIRR

wouldent it be nice to have that today...
Think of a porch on the cab car of the DE's.... just and intresting vision.
you can add a "barcar/clubcar" to it also :wink:

#17784  by LI Loco

To me, first class mean having cocktails served at your seat. :)

#17801  by Dave Keller

Mineola would have had 3rd rail visible in the scene.

That looks a lot like Brightwaters to me, too.

Dave Keller

This is one of my favorite diesel action shots! Also the "Cannonball" only the head end passing Babylon yard-1957. Image

#17961  by thrdkilr

Dave.
They didn't put the 3rd rails from Mineola to Hicksville until, what 1969? The clue for me is the telegraph poles, Mineola has them.
Tim

#18243  by Nasadowsk

Man. Today, the lawyers would have a field day with open observations. What was the diesel MAS back then? 65?

I still remember in the late 90's seeing long trains with the back end and people out there smoking their brains out. And the less than perfect automagic doors, which didn't always close (or open! :)

Oh yeah, I remember standing and watching the tracks as we came into Glen Head, the train bouncing and screeching coming into Huntington from the east. The dirt, the grime, the sluggishness (hey wait...)...

And people RODE those things!