Railroad Forums 

• THe LIRR is 170 years old today

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#17456  by EDM5970

The Strasburg may have been dormant for awhile, due to lack of business, but they never surrendered their charter. And, to go back a few, of course the ownership has changed; all of the original stockholders from 1832 are long gone. In the case of the LIRR, PRR sold the line to the state in the sixties, and it has been operated by one government agency or another since. I think the Strasburg has a better claim for continuity of name and corporate identity.

Point88, I think the ride at Strasburg is a much more than ten feet and twenty minutes. Since you are a conductor, I'm sure you will appreciate that they operate under rules and FRA regulations, just as you have to.

#17489  by point88

EDM5970 ok its longer than ten feet, but I don't think its much bigger than the train that goes around disney world. I still think its nothing more than a glorified ammusement park ride. sorry
 #17576  by Liquidcamphor

To clarify some posts concerning the LIRR name..the Company's name IS NOT...MTA LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD..The official name of the LIRR is The Long Island Rail Road Company. If there are any "doubters" please look at the hat badges that the Trainmen wear. You'll see the official Corporate Seal of the LIRR. That seal has the corporate name which is The Long Island Rail Road Company. Even the buttons on their uniforms have this.

MTA LIRR was an outgrowth of the late 90's when some people were questioning the need for the MTA. Because of that, the MTA felt it was not visible enough to the public so it redesigned it's logo and created "Common Names" such as MTA Bridges and Tunnels (its still the TBTA officially) and MTA LIRR. You won't find any official documents saying MTA LIRR..

In addition, the MCTA purchased the LIRR from the PRR in what was essentially a purchase of 100% of the LIRR's stock. The MTA kept the form of corporation that the LIRR always was until 1979, when it was converted from a Corporation that issues stock, to the present Public Benefit Corporation. They did this because the MTA thought it would assist in making LIRR employees subject to the Taylor Law (they were unsuccessful..read UTU vs. The Long Island Rail Road Co., 1982).

When the MTA was redesigning its logo and creating common names for it's subsidiaries, there was to be an actual Corporate name change from The Long Island Rail Road Co. to the Long Island Railroad Co. to bring the word "railroad" more in line with their Metro-North. The then President, Charles Hoppe and others made such a commotion, the MTA backed off..all due to wanting the LIRR to retain it's original chartered name. I guess some people really still care and that's pretty neat!

#17714  by JoeLIRR

It is pretty neet, however whats the deal today in 2004 after the most recent name change, merging it w/ MN. did this or did this not happen, was there enough people to stop the unecarry merger.
 #17726  by Liquidcamphor

The merger you are reffering to has yet to happen.

Just to clear up something. When the MTA talked of creating this new "MTA Railroad" from LIRR and MNCR, it is not to be confused with a Penn Central type of merger, where both lost their identity. The LIRR and MNCR were to retain there corporate names and MTA Railroad was well, to be a Department within the MTA acting somewhat like a holding company that would administer and manage the railroads. All the administrative functions of both roads would be in this MTA Railroad.

It isn't new to the LIRR. Under the Pennsy era, it wasn't uncommon for the President of the PRR to be the President of the LIRR too. And have certain administrative functions to be handled in Philadelphia instead of Jamaica.
Already within the MTA, some of the administrative functions have already been merged between LIRR and MNCR and have been for years.

Considering that LIRR and MNCR have separate Presidents and managements, merging these positions under a new umbrella entity like MTA Railroad might be considered a merger of the roads but it's not in the traditional sense that we would consider a merger. Besides, the MTA already stated that each road was to retain it's name and that they were conscious of the fact that the LIRR is the oldest railroad in the U.S. that is operating under it's original name and it will remain so.

By the way guys come on. The LIRR hasn't closed shop since April 24, 1834. Even during a strike it isn't uncommon for management to move equipment around or do something there. We can all play Corporate Geneology and say who is older. Maybe I'll open up a corporation and call it Baltimore & Ohio RR. Then I can claim my railroad is older. But it wouldn't be because no railroad in the U.S., including Strasburg by the way, has run some sort of rolling stock EVERY SINGLE DAY without interuption since 1834, under the same corporate name, except for the LIRR. When Strasburg went from a paper railroad to an operating and fully functional railroad, the LIRR was already well established.

#17759  by jayrmli

Thank you, Liquidcamphor. Apparently, some people can't (or don't want) to read exactly what was posted.

Is the Strasburg's charter older? Yes, by two years.

However, as I've replied on numerous times, the statement that (now read carefully now)" the LIRR is the longest continuously operated railroad still operating under it's existing charter" is correct.

By replying that the Strasburg is older means you have not read the post correctly. Read twice if you need to!

Jay

#17768  by JoeLIRR

thats a good one Jay.

Wonder howmany will actully read it "twice" or take a closer look at the word
continuously