Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1524712  by Tallguy

I am looking for the site of a power operated high platform lifting edge that is somewhere in the NYC area. Can anyone help me?
 #1524719  by DutchRailnut

a what..
 #1524727  by Tallguy

So high passenger platforms are not compatible with wide loads so often, a small platform, called a mini-high is installed to accomplish level boarding for handicapped folk. The edge of it can be cranked up to allow wide cars by. Somewhere in NYC there is supposedly a full length high platform with a hydraulically lifting edge along its whole length. I am trying to find it.
 #1524729  by DutchRailnut

not much high and wide anywhere in New york area and platforms are at car body height so most over sized loads actuall pass over high platforms .
 #1524731  by R36 Combine Coach

Metro-North has retractable mini-highs on the Port Jervis Line (which is a Class I freight main line).
 #1524732  by Tallguy

Yes, I am in Boston. We are trying to find an example of a full length lift edge to copy.
 #1524736  by Tallguy

By the LIRR? Do you know where were the ones they investigated are? Do yoy know what kind of problems?
 #1524738  by DutchRailnut

any high and wide goes down west side (CSX river line) no high or wides are contemplated on MN or LIRR.
 #1524800  by ExCon90

Tallguy wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:00 pm By the LIRR? Do you know where were the ones they investigated are? Do yoy know what kind of problems?
Properly speaking, there would have to be interlocking in place to ensure that a visual display would appear on wayside signals governing movement past such stations whenever the platform extenders were deployed in the extended position, with wide-car movements prohibited when that indication is displayed, and there should probably also be a wide-car detector at a sufficient distance on either side. The light-rail operation between Oceanside and Escondido in California has platform extenders on all platforms for use when the (temporally separated) light-rail operations are in effect. There are derails at each end of the line preventing freight movements onto the branch from the ex-ATSF at Oceanside or the freight yard at Escondido unless the extenders are proven to be in their upright and locked position (but in that case all freight movements are prohibited, not just those with wide loads--complications ensue when some freight movements are permitted but not all). Very maintenance-intensive, but without it it's only a question of time before someone momentarily forgets something and a freight train tears up one or more extenders.
 #1524948  by ExCon90

It just occurred to me that the North County Transit District (San Diego County), which operates the Escondido light-rail line, may have some video footage showing the platform extenders in operation--I think they're complete unique in the US. Also, an additional cost element is the CCTV at each station showing whether any passengers on the platform are in the area of the extenders when they're about to be lowered or raised so that they can be warned over the PA system to step away.