Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1421689  by BuddR32

This was my understanding as well. I was told that is wrong, and that the adhesive used in the flooring is asbestos based mastic.

Whenever they did floor repairs the cars had to go to the 'dirty area' for asbestos handling.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is simply based off the fact that the M1 cars had asbestos flooring, so the M3 cars do too.
 #1421691  by DutchRailnut

flor tiles are not considered hazmat , as removal is done with either heat or scrapper or both.
yes it does become a hazmat if you grind or sand the matter and it gets airborne.

The locomotives might be higher concern especially if they have older steam train lines or asbestos wrap on hot lines from engine.

The M-1's has lots of asbestos in propulsion group the flame arrestors on contactors and some asbestos wiring near grid resistors.
 #1434096  by DogBert

The first Bogie cars are being dragged off the cutoff this week, down into the Yard A area, where I presume they'll be scrapped on sight or loaded onto trucks to be hauled away.
 #1434167  by AlKaLI

Confirmed. From my LIRR train this morning, I could not see any of the blue bogies on the Cutoff. They were there last week.
 #1434171  by Teutobergerwald

Did the LIRR reconnect the track to pull those away on the Montauk Cut-Off ? Is the cut of these bogies on the LIPA spur east of Hicksville between Old Country Rd. and New South Rd. still there??? Thanks.
 #1434225  by Ðauntless

Absolute shame a set of bogies were not preserved. Pioneering Intermodal concept, thrown aside..
 #1434229  by R36 Combine Coach

Good riddance. Rusting there since the early 90s. If you see the teen drama film 'Cruel Intentions' (1999), they're visible in the opening credits as the main character drives on the 495 Viaduct into the Midtown Tunnel.
 #1434263  by freightguy

Dauntless,

LIRR's pioneer intermodal concept was in 1885(first piggyback). A few LIRR crews mentioned those cars were prone to derailments. Once a piggyback load of US Mail was left NY Crossharbor interchange and was torched by the locals. Needless to say the service never really got off the ground. Pun intended!
 #1434283  by DogBert

I don't think they've removed them all - just those closest to the mainline. It's going to take 2-3 weeks to drag them all down into the yard. I watched them pull two off the other day: they tug it down using a lift, then slightly lift and re-rail the cars at the broken switch, and drag it (screeching all the way) under Thomson avenue overpass. Once under the overpass they take it off the track are either trucking them away or cutting them up on the spot. I'll see if I can get a better look later.

Even though they were a total failure, that historic aspect back to the 1880s would have made for a good artifact to preserve, telling LI's history & struggles with freight service.
 #1434298  by jayrmli

LIRR's pioneer intermodal concept was in 1885(first piggyback). A few LIRR crews mentioned those cars were prone to derailments. Once a piggyback load of US Mail was left NY Crossharbor interchange and was torched by the locals. Needless to say the service never really got off the ground. Pun intended!
Oh yes I remember one of the old LIRR freight engineers telling me they bled one of the cars off to move in the yard by pushing it. Two people pushed and even doing that it derailed. Of course, depending on what track it was on in Yard A at the time the condition of the track may have contributed to it!

If you want to see the true legacy of the LIRR bogies, check out NYA crews cleaning out switches after a snowstorm. Many of the hoses were cut off of these cars and modified to blow compressed air at the switches.
 #1434402  by gregorygrice

DogBert wrote:I don't think they've removed them all - just those closest to the mainline. It's going to take 2-3 weeks to drag them all down into the yard. I watched them pull two off the other day: they tug it down using a lift, then slightly lift and re-rail the cars at the broken switch, and drag it (screeching all the way) under Thomson avenue overpass. Once under the overpass they take it off the track are either trucking them away or cutting them up on the spot. I'll see if I can get a better look later.

Even though they were a total failure, that historic aspect back to the 1880s would have made for a good artifact to preserve, telling LI's history & struggles with freight service.
Once under the over pass they lift them off the rails to the ground, cut them in 4 pieces and load them into a scrap container to be trucked off.
 #1434439  by DogBert

Thanks - I suspected as such with that trailer of cutting torches down there but didn't actually see them doing it.

There's currently a few bogies under thomson ave awaiting slicing, one at the broken switch, and 4 left on the cutoff.

Will post a few photos later.