Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1281074  by ST214

c604. wrote:From recent board meeting discussion it sounds like the used locos will supplement the existing fleet to increase the spare ratio.
The MBTA will have some F40PH units available soon. They are well run into the ground, but I'll bet they go cheap.
 #1281684  by ST214

TrainManUPRR wrote:We might as well buy them. They can't be much more run down than the remaining non-rebuilt F40s Metra has already!
You have not seen them yet! I'm not sure how they would do hauling gallery cars. Some of them struggle with a 5 car set of single level cars.
 #1284010  by AMTK84

From what I'm hearing, Metra is only wanting locomotives with separate HEP engines. So that unfortunately rules out any standard F40PH's from Boston or anywhere else.

My guess is they'll probably go with the MPI-owned MARC GP40 variants, if any of those are still available. I can't see Metra going with 710 engines unless they absolutely have to (everything else on the property is a 645), so the likelyhood of seeing any Canadian F59's is probably pretty low.

As for the F40C's, my understanding is that they would be rebuilt completely to comply with the new emissions standards. If MPI wins the contract for that, perhaps we'd get some HSP46's (internally, that is) out of the deal?
 #1284012  by HammerJack

AMTK84 wrote:My guess is they'll probably go with the MPI-owned MARC GP40 variants, if any of those are still available.
I sincerely hope not. In my opinion, GP40s belong on freight trains, not passenger trains.
 #1284129  by TrainManUPRR

I don't think Metra will EVER order GE prime movers. They tested the Genesis before they ordered what ended uo being the MP36s and didn't like their acceleration. The GEVO engine has problems, anyway.

I wonder why the sudden change of heart on HEP? I prefer HEP directly off the prime mover. That's why the F40s load up so fast- no turbo lag. The pony engines have an annoying sound to them too.

Breakdowns on the Rock continue to be frequent. 181 recently had the #1 traction motor go bad- it's back running now, though. 406 had a traction motor changed out as well. 208, 179, and 184 have had bad ordered cab signals on multiple occasions. 202 smokes really bad and smells very strongly of burning oil. 204's turbo barks badly.408's turbo is dying and leaves behind a nice thick black smoke trail everywhere it goes. 410 is so bad they keep it assigned to train 617 every evening because they don't trust it to go west of Blue Island (all the other BI equipment does a run to Joliet in the morning.) 410's been in and out of the shop as well- currently spending the weekend in the shop AGAIN. 412- normally by far the best engine on the Rock- has been out of service nearly a month with "electrical problems." It's sitting at LaSalle as the protector as of Friday though so hopefully this means it's finally fixed.
 #1284702  by TrainManUPRR

It looks like Metra is now soliciting bids to rebuild 11 F40PH-2s in addition to all 30 Winnebagos per the Metra site. I assume the 11 would be 174-184 but who knows. I am curious as to the fate of 150-173. I wouldn't be surprised if they just keep then because I don't think they're in too bad of condition. I assume 174-178 are rough. 179-184 are all terrible with the exception of 18p.
 #1285706  by AMTK84

My understanding is that the separate HEP engines are now preferred because of lower emissions. If memory serves me correctly, Metra's longtime Chief Mechanical Officer retired in 2011, so it's very possible that the current CMO has different ideas about what would be best for the fleet going forward.

If the F40C's are actually rebuilt (I'm still holding out hope that one of them will be donated to a certain railroad museum), they would be "upgraded" to the latest and greatest engine tech. So, that would mean that it would either be the MPI HSP46 prime mover, or one of the other options from Caterpillar. Whether Metra's previous experience with the 1990's-era Genesis units is a factor in which vendor to go with or not, they'll be buying something completely different than anything else they have ever had before.
 #1286203  by c604.

There was some talk about the HSP-46 and how Metra tested a P42 while shopping for new power years ago and felt that it didn't meet their needs. From the feedback on the MBTA board so far, the HSP-46 seems to be a completly different animal from a P42 in terms of performance. Numerous reviews from MBTA engineers and bystanders indicate that the units accelarate very fast, nothing like what we are used to seeing with typical GE's. Engineers also say they have great visibility and a well designed overall workspace in the cab. Between their performance and the units having 12 cylinder engines and inverter HEP, it might be in Metra's interest to give one a test when the time comes to go shopping again.
 #1286328  by Backshophoss

The MBTA HSP-46 was designed around a "High Speed Passenger" kit created at GE,
it's in their catalog,not sure if the link in "HSP" thread is still active.
The basic kit believed to be an Evo prime mover,HEP inverter,High Votage Cabinet,and cab controls,
that could be just dropped on an underframe stripped bare,or a new build as is the case of the HSP-46(at MPI).
 #1290474  by LedZeppelinFan85

How well do locomotives 173 and 161 operate? 161 has been sitting in the yard at Waukegan the last several days and saw that 173 was running on the Northwest line last week (now running on the North since I saw her parked at Waukegan today). I also saw 155 and 165 parked there. 155 was starting up and getting ready to do a run to Ogilvie.
 #1291323  by AMTK84

Update: It appears that the below information is inaccurate. Original post below:

According to someone in the know, Metra has three F40PH-series locomotives, numbered 217-219, at the Rocket House. The locomotives are thought to originally have run for Amtrak, but it sounds like they are from a leasing company. Their condition (ready for service vs. not quite ready) is not known. Does anyone have any more info on this, by chance?
Last edited by AMTK84 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1291329  by TrainManUPRR

AMTK84 wrote:According to someone in the know, Metra has three F40PH-series locomotives, numbered 217-219, at the Rocket House. The locomotives are thought to originally have run for Amtrak, but it sounds like they are from a leasing company. Their condition (ready for service vs. not quite ready) is not known. Does anyone have any more info on this, by chance?
That is completely false information. Only ones in the shop yesterday were 207 (not sure what was wrong with it), 412 (getting new safety striping on the nose as well as FRA mechanical inspection), NIRC 3, and a BN assigned Winnebago receiving PTC installation (don't remember the exact unit number- something in the 18x-19x range.)
Last edited by TrainManUPRR on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.