Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1452025  by Backshophoss

WBBM, has been reporting 15-20 min delays due to a derailment south of Union Station today,repairs may last to tomorrow's AM Rush.
Who Derailed this am to create this problem? METRA or Amtrak??
 #1452104  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is TRAINS Newswire coverage of the incident:

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... ra-clogged" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use:
..CHICAGO — The derailment of three coach cars on a Metra train caused several track closings at Chicago Union Station and delays for thousands of commuters and Amtrak passengers Wednesday.

Metra officials said the third, fourth, and fifth cars of an eight-car SouthWest Service train derailed approximately 10:50 p.m. Tuesday as the train was arriving at the station.

The derailed cars remained upright and the five other cars and locomotive remained on the tracks. There were no injuries to the three passengers on board, Metra said.
For what it be worth, observed Amtrak #3 (30) "more or less" on time.
 #1452157  by Backshophoss

WBBM reports that the Switch repairs will continue into tomorrow's AM rush,also RTA is asking for more $$$ from the IL statehouse
to handle some capital projects for "state of good repair" of the regional commuter rail.
 #1457568  by orangeline

I understand that yesterday morning (Jan 18) there was a broken rail near the Clarendon Hills station on the BNSF that caused major disruptions on Metra BNSF, Amtrak and the freights that use the line. This morning (Jan 19) I was surprised to learn those disruptions are still in place. I'm no railroader or civil engineer, but it seems odd to me that "a broken rail" requires more than 24 hours to repair. Forgive my ignorance but why is that the case?
 #1457582  by Gilbert B Norman

Thank you, Mr. Orange, for an explanation.of what I observed yesterday afternoon on my walk over to West Hinsdale.

Must say I wondered why all traffic was proceeding "at speed not exceeding that needed to stop short of any obstruction".

Suffice to say at "school's out" time, Mom in her SUV was getting frustrated because Johnny was going to be late for Karate and Ginny was going to be late for her Ballet.
 #1499306  by ohioriverrailway

South Shore back in business and Metra Electric sort-of after a series of wire breaks last week and a CN derailment that tore down catenary poles and caused substation damage.
 #1508879  by lstone19

Gilbert B Norman wrote:BNSF #1303 "due at Aurora 1001A has not left Union Station. Length of delay is unknown."

What now?
Getting alerts this morning for the MD-W for delays due to "Amtrak switch failure". Related?
 #1508881  by Gilbert B Norman

istone19 wrote:Getting alerts this morning for the MD-W for delays due to "Amtrak switch failure". Related?
Well, if such be the case, Mr. Stone, the outcry will start to have METRA operate the CUS plant.
 #1508922  by Nasadowsk

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
istone19 wrote:Getting alerts this morning for the MD-W for delays due to "Amtrak switch failure". Related?
Well, if such be the case, Mr. Stone, the outcry will start to have METRA operate the CUS plant.
Maybe, once passenger rail is considered a vital service, they'll hand it to a competent operator.

Amtrak's level of reliability wouldn't cut it in my industry. They'd be the star of the state DEP's violations reports in about a week...
 #1510608  by ST214

BNSF line train 1229 has struck a trespasser near Belmont. Delay duration unknown.