Railroad Forums 

• AC engines leading DC engines

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#904085  by dash7

Hi all,
Its been a while since my last post,as I have started a new job after nearly 2 years of searching!
Anyway I ended up getting a job as trainee Locomotive engineer(train driver, level one) to my luck(its only taken me 22 years of trying!) anyway I digress,I was wondering if any railroads have problems with ac diesels leading DC diesels.
We have (Queensland Railways National NSW ,Australia)new GT46ACe(export SD70ACe) and when they lead a DC unit, in this case AT26C-2M's a Morisson Knudson rebuild of an F unit nosed clone crossed with an F45 bodied SD40 loco which used to have the MK-LOC onboard computer management system and now replaced with the cheaper Nexsys ZTR control system and it seems that the EM2000(FIRE 2) in the GT46ACe loco's can't communicate properly with the AT26C-2M's computer and the company that owns and maintains the trackage (in NSW a seperate company owns and maintains the track and infrastructure)will not let AC loco's lead a DC as it is reported that the DC units will buck and wheel spin as if to make up for their inferior tractive effort compared to the AC units and damage track and I was wondering if this is a problem on some class one railroads in the US.
P.S
sorry about the elongated post by the way

Cheers Dash7
 #904409  by emdpower75

In North America, railroads that haul heavier, bulk commodities such as coal and grain on a regular basis have both AC and DC units in their fleet. Some choose to have an all AC consist or all DC consist depending on the railroad. They could also have DC leading AC if need be. With AC leading DC, the problem is with slow speed operation. The lead AC unit only shows tractive effort in pounds of the lead unit alone. The trailing DC units have ammeters that need to be monitored in slow speed, heavy haul operations to avoid damage to the traction motors. Climbing a long grade with an AC leading a DC unit with a heavy train at speeds below 10 mph will not affect the AC unit, but will strain the DC unit over time leading to possible damage. With this in mind, good practices would call for AC to never lead DC in this territory.
 #914496  by dash7

Dear EMDPOWER75,

Please forgive my belated reply,
But not my gratitude and again thankyou for your reply it sheds light on my question and seems you guys have the same sort of problems we do down here! if only AC and DC could just get along!