Railroad Forums 

• How many of you agree?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#577112  by tomjohn

With the current abundance of high horsepower main line locomotives such as SD70'S, SD80'S,SD70-2M'S to SD 90'S and their variants from ELECTRO MOTIVE DIVISION and from GENERAL ELECTRIC with their DASH 8-40'S to the ES44'S and the ES44 variant are nice and yes fuel efficient. However, to me they all are starting to shockingly a lot like the automobiles that we all drive and cherish greatly!

Opinions are welcome..

Tom

" LET EACH CITIZEN REMEMBER AT THE MOMENT HE IS OFFERING HIS VOTE THAT HE IS NOT MAKING A PRESENT OR COMPLIMENT TO PLEASE AN INDIVIDUAL -- OR AT LEAST THAT HE OUGHT NOT SO TO DO : BUT THAT HE IS EXECUTING ONE OF THE MOST SOLEMN TRUSTS IN HUMAN SOCIETY FOR WHICH HE IS ACCOUNTABLE TO GOD AND HIS COUNTRY."

Samuel Adams
 #577214  by Jtgshu

Im not quite sure what you are trying to get at.........but last I checked, my car don't look ANYTHING like a GE or EMD loco! Although I wish I had ditch lights on my car that would flash and a big ol Nathan air horn on the roof............

ahaha

If you are referring to how everything looks alike in the loco world as well as the car world these days, well, thats just a sign of the times....

And im sure the exact same thing was said when EMD Es and Fs and the other companies cab units were populating the railroad, and then after that when the "Road Switcher" design (not just RS1, 2, 3s) but GPs and U boats and anytihng with a bigger cab than hoods, and had side walkways.

to a "normal" person - i.e. non-railfan, does a GE U boat or -7 look much different than an EMD GP or SD 35, 40, 45, 50, 60 (standard cab)? No, not at all.

Its just now, both EMD and GE have similar looking safety cabs and flared radiators, making them both look relatively similar, not unlike GMs "talent" of making most of their cars and brands look very similar, if they tried to or not.

I guess its safe to say that we are entering a new "generation" of locos, a standard that will be around for the next 20 years, until the next major improvement rolls along.
 #577225  by tomjohn

If you are referring to how everything looks alike in the loco world as well as the car world these days. >> Yes I am, referring to how everything looking alike ! And I am also being observant...
 #589771  by pierrerabbit

I agree. I was noticing the other day how many similiar looking sedans and SUV's are on the road, all of them painted silver. Then when on a RR photo sight, I noticed that at least 99%+ of the photos are of Widecabs.
 #591077  by atsf sp

But an EMD wide cab is boxier than a GE cab which is more trianglar at the top. They don't look the same. Also a side profile looks almost the same with the long hood(I'll give you that) but the nose again gives it away. Also U-boats and regular cab GP/SD units look different. From the front the hoods are more round and blunt on a U-boat where a EMD GP/SD has a boxier longer nose. The cabs are completely different and the long hoods even look different. I don't think they look the same. Give me a picture of any make and I could distinguish an EMD from a GE in a matter of moments.
 #591141  by GOLDEN-ARM

Let's figure out how to turn this into an EMD thread, okay? :-D
 #592370  by tomjohn

Golden arm -

Agreed let's try it as a test and see how it works, how many like it as that . And if works well as a EMD thread it stays if it doesn't work as a EMD thread it may have to revert back to the thread as it was started as ..

Tom