Railroad Forums 

• EMD loco rebuilt with a GE engine, or vice versa?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#19565  by MEC407

I've often heard of ALCO locomotives having their original prime mover replaced with an EMD.

I was wondering if there have ever been any instances of a GE locomotive that had its PM replaced with an EMD, or an EMD loco that had its PM replaced with a GE, etc.

#20466  by Bryanjones

Yes, back in the 1970's Morrison Knudsen took a group of retired UP U25B's and rebuilt them with the mechanical guts from retired B&O F7's. They did 6 or 8 of these rebuilds for an industrial firm and several are still in service today.
There were never any EMD's repowered with GE prime movers though.

Bryan

#20478  by Justin B

To the best of my knowledge I cannot think of an instance of an EMD getting its prime mover replaced with a 251 or FDL. The simple fact is that EMD had Alco and GE beat in the reliability department. It wasn’t until the dash-8 and 9 line that GE became on par with EMD durability wise. But by that point locomotives had become so complex that swapping an FDL for a 710 would be too much work.

#21664  by dave76

Anyway who wants a slowpoke four stroke when you can have a screamin two stroke.

#24386  by yardclerk

Although I do not have any pictures of the units, The Rock Island re-engined some of its older EMD switch engines with some spare Alco prime movers that it had on hand.

Yardclerk

#31066  by Clyde

Every ones who want a powerfull and faster engine, EPA compliant with higher torque @ low RPM.. However 2 strokes eng. are still very good in nuclear power plant as standby engine and of course in lawn-mowers and chain saws..

[quote="dave76"]Anyway who wants a slowpoke four stroke when you can have a screamin two stroke.[/quote]