Railroad Forums 

• GP38-2 question

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#272417  by DutchRailnut

Correct the UP E-9's are basicly GP38-2's in a E-9 shell.
only one engine at 2000 hp new electrical cabinets and modern controlstands including the 26 RL brake.
Here is picture of UP 951's cab:
http://64.246.11.82/images/images2/u/UP ... .98354.jpg

#272480  by pennsy

Hi All,

Nope, the Union Pacific E-9's are ALL GP-38 on the inside. No controls or equipment from the original equipment was retained. They are 100 % Geep on the inside.

#272774  by GOLDEN-ARM

How sad. The Conrail E's were ALL E, with a ratcheting throttle, manual transition, ancient airbrakes, and 100% CLASS. Who wants to run an engine anyone can run? No skills needed, to work that self lapping, pressure maintaining brake, or that modern control stand. If I wanted to run a Geep, I would get on a Geep!!!!

#273342  by GN 599

jz441 wrote:Do we still have any of those left on the BNSF with 24L brake valve? Santa Fe had some GP7's or 9's but I haven't seen them for years.
Yes there alot of the old BN SD9's have the 24 brake valve. Some of the old CB&Q SD9's have a 6bl brake valve, along with the NP SW1200's on the roster.....what an age we live in. :P

#273600  by Jtgshu

What is the difference between the 24 and 26 style brakes, and the 6 style brakes as well. Was it MUing capabitiy? I know some MU2A valves still have the Trail 6 and Trail 24/26 positions..........

Also, and it might be a stupid question to the freight guys here, but the 26 style brakes on most (all?) freight units, they are all self lapping, right?

At NJT, we use a 26E1 brake, with Relase, Electric Hold, LAP, Service, Handle Off, Emergency. (Non self lapping) This is on all the diesels (GP40's and F40s), except the new PL42, that uses an EPIC2 system, but with the same handle positions. The SW1500's and the Arrow 3 MU's have self lapping brakes - Switchers have a 26C, and the MU's 26B1

Is this 26 sytle brake (like NJTs 26E1) unique to passenger locomotives, or is the non self lapping brake on some freight units (without the Electric Hold position obviously), or are most (all) freight units self lapping??

#273658  by GOLDEN-ARM

The biggest difference in the 26 schedule series of brakes, is the self-lapping, and pressure-maintaining feature. Self lapping has been around, but without compensation for trainline air leaks, that lapped brake is going to drag you down. The maintaining feature keeps charging the trainline, at the loco, to correspond to the pressure seen in the equalizing reservoir. Thus, your 10 pound reduction maintains at that level, not slowly dropping towards zero................. :(

#273717  by Jtgshu

Thanks GA! Were 24 schedule brakes Non Self Lapping as well?

#273829  by GN 599

Nope 24rl is not self lapping. Just like Golden arm described, if you set say 10lbs all those small leaks in the train line will slowly draw it down toward zero. On the Oregon Trunk, northbound trains tip over to a 1.9 % grade. I've heard so many stories about having the RS-3's on the point, or anything else with a 6bl or 24rl brake valve, its crazy how different each engineer would get a train down to speed and hold it with a non maintaining brake valve. Alot of guys called the old SP&S RS-3's ''rock crushers'' , quite what that means I am not sure. I think a lot of guys were happy when the ''new'' technology of the GP38-2's came out. With self maintaining brake valves and dynamic brakes and such. I guess the neat thing about the 24 or #6 brake valve are you can draw off a couple of pounds vs. the standard 6 to 8 that the 26l gives you when you make a minimum brake pipe reduction.

#274177  by Jtgshu

ahhhhhhhh i gotcha

What was throwing me was that at New Jersey Transit, we use 26 brake valves, in our EMD units and they have the Pressure Maintaining feature, but they are non-self lapping. Only our lone switcher, SW1500, 502, is Self Lapping - with the 26C brake valve - Our Geeps use the 26E1 style (I was told the E is for the Electropneumatic Holding feature). Are there other railroads, freight or passenger that use 26 style brakes that are NOT self lapping?

The handle positions for the 26E1 are
Release
Electric Hold
LAP
Service
Handle Off
Emergency

#274282  by DutchRailnut

Ibelieve LIRR used them on FL9ac's and maybe the DE/DM.
MNCR uses the 26C/L system.

#274311  by ELSDP45

There are many pressure maintaing 24 brake stands out there. The 24 brake (automatic) however was never self lapping.

#274382  by GN 599

I guess I am spoiled and havent had to deal alot with them. I know for a fact that the 24rl is not self lapping obviously. But I cant remember it being self maintaining??