Railroad Forums 

• Crossing stings

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#757970  by UPRR engineer

No one feels like cheering i guess.

It's nothing new on the UP dude.
 #758111  by CSXTfan

Oh well i just stumbbled apon it and thoght it was really cool.
 #758807  by umtrr-author

Thanks for sharing the link!

I wasn't aware of these 'stings' and I'd like to see them move east... I can think of a few places that they might be worthwhile.

Although I suppose that despite Operation Lifesaver, etc. there are still going to be some people who will learn the hard way, permanently. As we've discussed, it's not understood how hard this is on the train crew. The engineer in the clip had hit six cars and two pedestrians in 15 years on the job.
 #759285  by CSXTfan

Your welcome!
I to would love to see this over hear on the east coast.
Its just to hard to imagine how hard it is on the crew.
 #798358  by Engineer Spike

I think that they should let the people run the gates. The only problem is damage to the equipment. It is a simple Darwin / natural selection thing. I have been in this situation before. I am no virgin to hitting someone.
I'm not talking about all cases. One of the crews in my terminal hit a plow that got stuck on the crossing last winter. That was an unfortunate accident. My comments are aimed at those who intentionally ignore the gates and whistles.
 #799019  by Tadman

I think they're a good idea, I remember stings used to happen in South Bend when I was a kid, on then Conrail, now NS. Recently we had a tragic accident in the far south suburbs where CNIC signal maintainers turned off the crossing gates. A girl was hit by Amtrak's Illini moving close to MAS. People really need to be educated about the dangers of stopping on a track. I'm not blaming her, as the signals were absolutely turned off (by CN's admission, no less) but it helps when people just stay off the track except when they are wide open.