Railroad Forums 

• Chicago - St. Louis Train Frequency

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#658110  by zephyrboy

I just rode Amtrak from Chicago to Springfield, IL on 4/2/09 (Thursday) and 4/4/09 (Saturday) and I did not see ONE UP freight train on either trip - not even in a siding. How many freights are there in each direction on a typical day?

BTW, the last time I rode Amtrak on this route was in the Chicago, Missouri and Western days. I'll never forget trying to drink a cup of coffee only to have most of it end up on my clothes and tray! I thought the train was going to leave the tracks for sure! The ride now is a dream compared to back in those days. The train was full in both directions and there were a lot of families and students on board so that was great to see.

Also, and unfortunately, some poor soul tried to beat a Northbound Amtrak on Thursday just South of Bloomington, IL so our Southbound sat in the Normal, IL station for 2 hours while the authorities dealth with the mishap.

The only thing good that came out of that was that I got to get off of the train and chat with an Amtrak "engineer in training". I verified that the top speed limit is still 79MPH and that Mazonia to Springfield (I believe) is good for 110MPH if they had the right signaling and passenger engine equipment. There were UP crews at several crossings North of Mazonia putting in new crossing signals and gates.

Funny thing is this young engineer trainee told me he didn't like going 79MPH in some spots that are a litle bumpy. I told him that I used to ride the train back when I thought it would fly off of the tracks and that the track conditions now are a dream! :-D
 #658905  by dhaugh

I don't know about train frequency, but this sounds like the route I asked a question about on the CN forum. Was this a former GM&O route? And, if so how did it end up in UP's lap? I ask because the latest issue of trains has an article about CN getting trackage rights to run a more direct Chicago to St. Louis train, and yet, this was way more direct than either routing mentioned & was once part of IC if I am correct. I guess I'm looking for some history and clarification.
 #659401  by spoony1999

dhaugh wrote:I don't know about train frequency, but this sounds like the route I asked a question about on the CN forum. Was this a former GM&O route? And, if so how did it end up in UP's lap? I ask because the latest issue of trains has an article about CN getting trackage rights to run a more direct Chicago to St. Louis train, and yet, this was way more direct than either routing mentioned & was once part of IC if I am correct. I guess I'm looking for some history and clarification.
From Wikepedia:
The Chicago and Alton Railroad had built and operated lines between Chicago, Illinois, Springfield, Illinois, St. Louis, Missouri and Kansas City until that railroad was merged into the Gulf, Mobile and Ohio Railroad in 1947. The GM&O itself was merged into the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad in 1972. When the ICG began spinning off its redundant lines, the Chicago, Missouri and Western Railway purchased the lines from the ICG on April 28, 1987.

The line struggled financially, leading to deferred maintenance on the track, and the company was bankrupt within the year.

The Southern Pacific Railroad purchased the Saint Louis to Joliet, Illinois line from the CM&W to extend itself into Chicagoland in 1989. Another new railroad, the Gateway Western Railway, purchased the Springfield to Kansas City line in 1990.

So when Southern Pacific was absorbed into UP this line came into UP's lap..
As far as CN goes they serve a mine west of Farmersville IL, im not sure when they abandoned the rest of the line south of that
 #659529  by zephyrboy

My mom grew up with the IC line that goes down to Farmersville in her back yard. That's the line responsible for me falling in love with trains! I watched trains all the time when I was at my grandparents.

Just to be clear, the line to Farmersville was IC and the line I was originally talking about was GM&O. My uncle still lives in my grandparents house and he sees UP coal trains (loaded one way and empty the other) about 1 a day. From what I understand, the UP comes from the Powder River Basin along the former Chicago & Northwestern, cuts down down on another former CNW line from Nelson, IL (near Sterling and Dixon, IL) to Barr, IL, hops on the former C&IM (now Illinois and Midland - a Genessee and Wyoming Industries property), hops back on the old IC in Springfield, IL and makes its way to Farmersville. They often have a helper on these coal trains.

The old IC was neat to watch as a kid. I have vague memories of seeing IC passenger trains, a fair number of Chicago & Illinois Midland trains came by every day and Illinois Terminal used the line after they abaondoned their own track.

I'm not sure when they cut the IC line at Farmersville. They built an "S-curve" on the South side of Springfield to tie in to a tiny portion of the Illinois Terminal to go West to the old GM&O. The trains have to go up a pretty large incline to get over two busy streets in Springfield (6th and 7th maybe?) until they make their way west to the old GM&O and on the St. Loius.
 #659564  by spoony1999

The UP Coal trains go to the power plant in Kincaid.. They take the CN line south of Springfield then pick up the Illinois&Midland track again at the switch by Rt104 and head east through Pawnee and onto the powerplant just east of that.. This is I&M's line to Taylorville, which im not sure how much I&M uses anymore