Railroad Forums 

• Am I the only one??!!

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#638763  by LYconductor

Just curious if there is anybody out there and by anybody I mean real railroader that are in LY status, and that brings up another question does having an account to this site make us just as bad or even worse than the foamers we cuss everyday. I mean at least I can try and justify it to myself as saying its just the boredom of Iraq.
 #638958  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hello, LY, and Welcome to Railroad.net. With a very large portion of the members here, being "real railroaders", as you called us, I don't believe there's any stigma attached to coming here. You can't really paint, with such a broad brush. No need to "justify" being here, we have lot's of railroadershere, and we enjoy the interactions, with buffs, historians, and a few crazy foamers as well. Welcome aboard....... :-D
 #638997  by Ocala Mike

So, what is LY status for us uninformed types? I'm guessing it's military leave off your job with the UP. Any war stories or RR stories for us?
 #639016  by qboy

Ocala Mike wrote:So, what is LY status for us uninformed types? I'm guessing it's military leave off your job with the UP. Any war stories or RR stories for us?
Layoff for military service.
 #639072  by LYconductor

I have quit a few stories from my Military experience and my RR career, as well as a railroad?Iraq war story as well. Maybe one of these days here soon I'll bear through the agonizing pain of my poor and slow typing skills and put a few on here. Or I may save them for the long hr days of waiting in the siding for the phantom train's, we'll see.
 #639815  by UP1995

Can I join the military, and still keep my job with the RR? It seems that is the only way I am going to find work! If I do will my status change from FG to LY? How does LY work? Do I get paid from UP when I am in active duty? I heard some guys talk in the shanty about this, and was wondering if it was BS. Thanks.
 #640736  by LYconductor

UP1995 wrote:Can I join the military, and still keep my job with the RR? It seems that is the only way I am going to find work! If I do will my status change from FG to LY? How does LY work? Do I get paid from UP when I am in active duty? I heard some guys talk in the shanty about this, and was wondering if it was BS. Thanks.

es you can join the military and keep your seniority. The UP gave me 4yr and 4ms for active duty time. No you wont collect a paycheck during this time. Although be it I'm hearing through the grape vine from my local chairman that I might be entitled to a Grandfather clause from the RR that was before it was UP. It has yet to be seen I guess I'll find out here in a few month when I'm back. But yes you will keep your job and protect your seniority. LY status is good for 4yr's and 4ms, and if you do do it hopefully everything is back to a more normal flow by then, and then you'll get to experience the joy I'm waiting for is bumping somebody off the what ever board you wanna work and having them say "WTF" who the hell is this guy!!
 #643703  by UPRR engineer

Hey dude, I dont know how long you've been gone there buddy, or how many years you have with the UP. Things have changed alot and all tho the railroad keeps trying to be positive that a quick recovery is in the works...... most likely its gonna still get alot worse. I dont know how much of the news you get to watch over there or what kind, liberal or conservative. Depending on which side you stand on you might be shocked on how this country has changed. Anyone with less then 15 years on the railroad should be a little nervous.
 #643713  by LYconductor

UPRR engineer wrote:Hey dude, I dont know how long you've been gone there buddy, or how many years you have with the UP. Things have changed alot and all tho the railroad keeps trying to be positive that a quick recovery is in the works...... most likely its gonna still get alot worse. I dont know how much of the news you get to watch over there or what kind, liberal or conservative. Depending on which side you stand on you might be shocked on how this country has changed. Anyone with less then 15 years on the railroad should be a little nervous.
Things have changed I'm sure for the better or worse only time will tell. But recessions happen. You cant have good with out a little bit of evil you know. We came out of a pretty devastating one in the first part of the 80's. Sure things will probably get worse for a spell. But recessions kinda work out to be a shower for the economy. Everything gets so outrageously big and crazy, in comes a recession and weeds out the weak and the strong emerge. So we'll see what happens. We'll either be smelling roses or fighting over sandwiches in the soup lines.

P.S. Most the news leans to the Liberal no matter where you go be it CNN,MSNBC, or the AFN. I'm lost between Conservative and the Libertarian side (that will probably open up a new thread sorry). and been with Uncle Pete for 6yr's. Which may not seem like a lot to some but here over the next I'll say 5-10(for the die hards that want to keel over on the rail) all you really gonna see anymore is guys with 0? covering the seniority boards.