Railroad Forums 

• F45 3636 Out of Service

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#548271  by scottychaos

Jtgshu wrote:How many F45's are left in existance?
Both NYSW F45's still exist, the former NYSW 3638 is currently OOS with Montana Rail link:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/susquehanna/

and MRL has a second one, also OOS:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 930&nseq=5

That makes three..
I dont know if there are any more than that...that might be all of them.

Scot
 #549505  by uhaul

All the ATSF FP45s (except for 94) exist, but the question as to how many F45s are left would get answered more quickly in the EMD forum.
Last edited by uhaul on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #551543  by lvrr325

The Santa Fe units in the 90-series were FP45s. Trains Magazine notes two scrapped, one wrecked and one sold to WC, then sold by CN which ended up cut up as well.
Last edited by lvrr325 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #553511  by N_DL640A

Sad to hear the news about the 3636. I always liked the engine (as a diesel electrician that is). 3636 may have been from the class of '71 and the wiring was all original, but it was electrically in great shape. I like EMD's later variation of the 40 series electricals, not quite a dash 2 but not bad. I went through the electrical system very carefully when we were returning the unit to service in '05 - '06 (I think we released her in Jan '06). Put some electrical ugrades into her and at the same time fixed several bugs too! Also cleaned up the AR10 and repacked the end bearing (it was getting pretty dry!). Shame she went out that way!
 #560750  by atsf sp

When I went to New York and went to the Binghamton NYSW yards, there was a line of NYSW engines and 3636 really stuck out. Its dissapointing to see an engine like this sidelined. Hopefully it doesn't get scrapped. I think it should head to a museum, being one of the last.
 #594237  by sallenparks

3636 was spotted along side the shop Thursday Oct,23 with the last highhood SD40-2 are they maybe going to be reactivated them.I was shocked when I saw this wasn't that good of a day down in Bingo oh well.
 #594295  by Angus202

Kills me to be realistic here, but with what the engine needs I'd bet it's donating parts to the NS unit or both locomotives are being stripped before scrapping.
 #594336  by atsf sp

Would a museum take its shell? Just have it stuffed for a museum piece.
 #594642  by ricebrianrice

1802 was hookup up to them on Thursday also,
So my bet is they are being prepared (winterized) for moving to the storage/dead/waiting line on the other side of the yard.
 #594679  by lvrr325

I think they'll be around a while yet. Scrap was way high in mid-summer, but it's dropped to as little as a tenth of the price it brought then, per ton. Doesn't cost them much to keep them around for parts or even offer them for resale and wait for the price to come back up.