Railroad Forums 

• SOU 4610 getting painted?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1008224  by atsf sp

It is going to be rebuilt and then repainted into the SOU colors.
 #1010384  by SR4501

It has been repainted into Operation Life-Saver in current NS colors at Altoona. There is a photo out there that I have seen but I will not post it since it is copyrighted by Don Woods.
 #1010457  by 161pw165

A real shame - I liked it in the Southern colors. Now it's just another non-descript NS unit - Operation Lifesaver lettering or not.
 #1012447  by MEC407

That's a shame. Will NS ever do another heritage unit?
 #1019792  by litz

You have to be a TRAINS magazine subscriber to read the newswire (I think) ....

It starts off :
NORFOLK, Va. — To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Norfolk & Western/Southern merger in 1982, Norfolk Southern plans to honor many of the railroads that make up the present day NS system.
and goes on to note that it will be 18 units painted (SD70s and ES44s) in as close to original paint schemes as possible (vs the UP's re-interpretation paint schemes).

'twil be interesting to see, no doubt.
 #1019865  by ns3010

litz wrote:You have to be a TRAINS magazine subscriber to read the newswire (I think) ....

It starts off :
NORFOLK, Va. — To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Norfolk & Western/Southern merger in 1982, Norfolk Southern plans to honor many of the railroads that make up the present day NS system.
and goes on to note that it will be 18 units painted (SD70s and ES44s) in as close to original paint schemes as possible (vs the UP's re-interpretation paint schemes).

'twil be interesting to see, no doubt.
This is one of the few Newswire stories that they make available to the public. They only do this for larger news stories.