Railroad Forums 

• Altoona,PA locals

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #560386  by csrrfan86

I am planning a weekend trip to Horseshoe Curve this fall. Are there any local freights to chase in Altoona?
 #561652  by scooter3798

There is a local that runs out of Altoona down the Cove secondary to Hollidaysburg to interchange with the Everett Railroad and also switch Millenium Railcar and a couple of other small industries on the way out. I can't think of the symbol off the top of my head, but it usually runs a couple of times a week. Other than that there is a local, I think C42, that runs east out of Altoona to serve industries between Altoona and Lewistown. On the west slope there are a number of coal trains that run down the South Fork secondary to three load outs at Windber (Rosebud 78), Huskins, and Central City (PBS). They are averaging a couple trains a day out the branch. The symbols out of South Fork are C49, C50, C51, and C90 most of the time. Also out of South Fork they will run a train to a load out in Portage (Sonman) usually once a week, again this will often times use one of the C symbols listed. There is then a true local that will run down to Johnstown to pick up merchandise cars dropped off there, usually by the 10A. Most often there is a cut of cars for the salt plant at Cresson as well as some cars for interchange with the Conemaugh and Black Lick RR in Johnstown. Often times this local will use the C90 symbol, however it can vary. This train will work as far east as Gallitzin, where they will occaisionally switch the lumber yard. They will also work the Cresson engine facility and the RJ Corman interchange there. Finally there is also a train out of South Fork that runs west of Johnstown to New Florence to switch the power plant there. Often times they will take loads down off of the South Fork Secondary, or a train stored in Johnstown and return with empties. However, there are also times when they will run light power down to the power plant to pick up a train of fly ash out of the plant.

The other option for local activity in the area is the CSX local into Johnstown, symbol D703. This train runs into Johnstown every weekday morning. It is usually into town between 8 and 9 and depending on the work in town can be there for an hour to two hours. The train will work a Pepsi and Safety Clean transload facility near downtown and then interchange with the Conemaugh and Black Lick RR in downtown. They also switch a steel mill near Hooversville on the way out of town, and then do some work in Somerset before returning to Rockwood, where the train is tied down.

Scooter
 #590701  by jwhite07

Does a local or a road freight interchange with Nittany and Bald Eagle at Tyrone, PA? I was there yesterday midmorning (@10am-ish) and was lucky enough to catch the NBER just as it was heading out of town.
 #592045  by jgallaway81

There is a local out of Altoona that does the interchange.