Railroad Forums 

• The entire night on the Port Road

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #453838  by Melvin

I was bored yesterday, so I decided to see if I could stay up all night along the Port Road. When I watch the Port Road, I normally sit in Columbia. The first train came through at around 7:30 PM and the last one passed at 5:15 AM. I was there until 10 AM. (I think it's too bad that the traffic is only at night) Thanks to a thirty minute nap and a can of Red Bull, I felt great the entire night.

One noted occurance was 34A going into emergency in Marietta because of someone on the tracks. What I heard over the radio was that the horn was blown several times but the individual would not get off the tracks. That caused a thirty minute delay.

Eastbound
34A- general merchandise with two GE's.
804- loaded coal train with two GE's.
12T- general merchandise with one GE and one ConRail blue SD50.
36A- general merchandise with one GE and one SD60.
12N- autorack with one GE and one SD60.
24M- intermodal with two GE's.

Westbound
691- empty coal train with two GE's.
13G- general merchandise with two GE's, one of them a ConRail dash8.
37A- empty coal train with two GE's.
13N- autorack with two GE's.
33A- general merchandise with three GE's, one a CR dash8, and one SD70M-2.

That's it. I thought the activity was a little sparse due to once seeing fourteen trains between 8PM and 3AM a couple years back. Still, overall I had fun.

Melvin

#453900  by lakeshoredave

Wow! The Florida East Coast and CSX in the Carolinas think that the Port Road is a night time railroad. Good report. Nothing like fanning under the moon and stars!

Lakeshore out

#454728  by rob216

I would love to sit along Port Road and wait for trains, but my main problem is that the only free time I have during the day. So that kinda counts that out. But if I were to do it. I would be down in the town of Port and wait for them there. Or another spot would be right where it connects to the NEC. Just need to find the right time to go out and do it.

#464539  by motor

Port Road-ophiles, which direction is eastbound? Towards Perryville, like I assume?

motor

#464597  by rob216

I would guess that it would be eastbound towards Perryville. But I think they might go North-South on it.

#464606  by gp80mac

Eastbound is down... (to perryville).

#465991  by Schuylkill Valley

Good report Melvin, Thanks for sharing it.

Len.