Railroad Forums 

• ns: running long hood first?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #400912  by dash7

hi i was wondering when and if N.S still operate loco,s previosly set up to run long hood forward i.e;sd40-2,c36-7's still in that way or have they removed one of the control stands?or did they only have one in the first place?, thanks; dash7 :-D

#401641  by chrisjz

Yes they still occasionally operate these engines LHF but the crews try to spin them when and if possible. A lot of the LHF engines do not, and did not have dual control stands either. Management has even tried to order us to take a D940CW LHF but the visibility is even worse with those, not to mention being smoked out by the exhaust. There was a Six Sigma project started a while ago to keep engines SHF but it has failed miserably.
Last edited by chrisjz on Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#402070  by dash7

chrisjz wrote:Yes they still occasionally operate these engines LHF but the crews try to spin them when and if possible. A lot of the LHF engines do not, and did not have dual control stands either. Management has even tried to order us to take a D940CW LHF but the visibility is even worse with those, not to mention being smoked out by the exhaust. There was a Six SIGMA project started a while ago to keep engines SHF but it has failed miserably.
thanks chrisjz, that clarifies it for me,but running the C40-9's long hood forward? wow thats crazy stuff!! those flared wings in the way? impossible!!.thanks again; :-D dash7

#405497  by Tadman

I heard a statistic a while back, that companies using six-sigma had statistically lower stock returns than companies not using six-sigma. I also cannot imagine moving anything larger than a SD40 LHF... I always thought LHF at N&W was a carryover from parent PRR, which decided their box-cab electrics of the 1920's should become center-cabs due to crossing accidents. However, it's rare to see a PRR roadswitcher operating LHF. Further, SOU always had LHF units, and was never owned by PRR. So my theory appears out the door.

#405524  by chrisjz

Tadman wrote:Further, SOU always had LHF units, and was never owned by PRR. So my theory appears out the door.
Unless the SOU was influenced by the PRR/N&W LHF practice which may very well be the case. Either way, running LHF makes visibility extremely poor and you breathe nothing but diesel fumes. I don't see how it contributed to safety at all.

#406356  by nsrayman

you can catch one running LHF every now and again.

#406367  by chrisjz

The last time I had a turn with a Dash 9 like that, we spun that sucker ASAP; It makes seeing signals quite difficult. Guess those guys were either running for the quit or on mileage :P

#415618  by Superglide

I've run Dash 9s LHF many times and hated every second of it. Can't see anything thru those fat radiator wings when you're out in the open, much less operating at Restricted Speed somewhere. I have to drop the seat all the way down to see under the wings and that puts the computer screens off-angle so I can't read them. Forget whistle posts and right-side signals. Safety first.

As a side note...been getting a bunch of the old 6600s lately on my pool that are set up for LHF but they usually come off the pit SHF. I can't decide if it's worse to go with the stand on the wrong side and everything out of place or put the controls where they belong and run blind with the smoke blowing down your throat. My neck still hurts from the last two trips with those old dogs.

#416425  by Superglide

That's just wrong. New units don't even look good lined up that way...at least an old high-hood brick looked like it was built to run LHF. :wink:

#418949  by lakeshoredave

I've saw about 25% of NS locals on the ECBU running long hood forward when I lived in North Carolina from 2002 to 2006.

#419259  by nsrayman

another one

#419293  by Wanderer

nsrayman wrote:another one
You just gotta love it!

#420121  by .Taurus.

Hello
here in Germany our road switchers (centercabs) have controls for either directions.

What's up with that GP 38 for example?
Does it have controls on both sides of the cab, so that the engineer can sit on the right side when running long hood forward?
Or did the engineer und conductor hold their positions and the conductor told the engineer while moving the roadside signals?

Secondly I know from cab photos, that the american & canadian widecabs have controls only in 'correct' driving directions.
A little bit more difficult?!?
So if running LHF in a widecab, the engineer sits behind his controls, maybe turning around his seat or looking through the outside mounted mirros and
try to observe the roadside signals; but the conductor had to help the engineer, right?

Maybe a present engineer can explain us, if he like running LHF? Or is it all in the day's work?

Bye
 #420512  by gawlikfj

If the railroads had more turntables like they did in years past then they could turn the engine & run short hood forward but,there are very few turntables left so,the railroads run them anyway they can & still make their money.