Railroad Forums 

• Cast iron crossbuck in Macungie is gone

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #255874  by n01jd1

Went to Macungie 6/10/06 for a day of railfanning and noticed that my favorite photo prop, the old Reading era cast iron crossbuck that sat on top of the set equally old flashers and pole that survived many years on the Reading, all through Conrail and into the NS era was gone. It was replaced by a modern crossbuck that looked stupid on the shorter than normal old fashioned Reading pole and flashers that remained. Considering that some people today would steal artifacts from museums and considering the popularity of this spot since the "railfan gazeebo" was built and was featured in Railpace, It would not surprise me if the classic crossbuck was stolen. It really makes me mad that someone would be so inconsiderate to steal the classic crossbuck instead of leaving it where it was so everyone could enjoy it. :'-(

Picture: NS 9617 on 21M at Macungie, Pa with the classic Reading era crossbuck. It helped me get an editors pick for this photo.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=60501
 #622205  by rwk

What happened to the crossbuck? Was it, gulp, scrapped? They should have sent it up to the WK&S because they already have some like it. The WK&S's are probably original Reading. Or, to the Reading and Northern at Port Clinton. I live in Upper Macungie Township between the PA Turnpike and Chapman branch.
 #623480  by Schuylkill Valley

Go down to Reading Yard you might see something your looking for there's always a srap heep down there.

Good Luck

Len.

PS Welcome to the NS. forum RWK. Feel free in asking questions you want, were not like Railfan.net we are friendly here.