Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Worcester Main Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1306608  by Sprinter611

My sightings at Clinton today, sunday, & friday

Friday- POSE 0900ish , AY-1 (MEC 612) 0800 ish

Sunday- SEPO was thru MPX 17 around 1pm

Monday- POSE 0530ish and BOPW with the PW 4003, PW 4006, & CEFX 3173 were by Clinton West at 0655hrs.
 #1353040  by johnhenry

Thur Oct 15, 2015: A short (30-40 cars) POSE dropped its train and PanAm 519 in the middle of the Wachusett Reservoir causeway (around MP10) in West Boylston this morning. The three CSX lead engines went on to Greendale. There was a big emergency drill going on that the train was part of, lots of personnel with special fire trucks, ambulances, etc. They roped off the water going toward Boston (to simulate holding back a chemical spill I imagine). Later, at 6pm, I saw the CSX engine going back to the train. I assume it will continue on west to Shay to be turned over to CSX as usual.
 #1353628  by jmar896

johnhenry wrote:Thur Oct 15, 2015: A short (30-40 cars) POSE dropped its train and PanAm 519 in the middle of the Wachusett Reservoir causeway (around MP10) in West Boylston this morning. The three CSX lead engines went on to Greendale. There was a big emergency drill going on that the train was part of, lots of personnel with special fire trucks, ambulances, etc. They roped off the water going toward Boston (to simulate holding back a chemical spill I imagine). Later, at 6pm, I saw the CSX engine going back to the train. I assume it will continue on west to Shay to be turned over to CSX as usual.
That was "large scale derailment" training. Quite a few local, state, and federal agencies participated.

Has the speed on the line been improved at all? It seems like they have put work into it recently.

I like pretty close to the line and I rarely see Pan Am trains. It seems as if CSX uses this line the most. Even when I see maintenance vehicles (high rail trucks) they are CSX.
 #1353675  by newpylong

CSX has no rights over the line anymore - they terminated when their racks stopped going to the Ford plant. Your seeing Pan Am trains with CSX power. Once CSX pulls the train up to Burncoat street it's almost impossible to do a power swap so the CSX power stays on to at least Ayer usually further.

Likewise there are no CSX maintenance of way vehicles allowed on the line.

Speed has been the same for years.
 #1353677  by jaymac

If you saw them on pavement, the CSXT hyrailers might have been heading for various parts of the "Fitchburg" Secondary, the quotes because it goes only to Leominster. There have been crossing and other small tie jobs going on for a bit.
 #1353915  by jmar896

I saw what looked like a CSX hyrail truck right before the bridge over the Wachusett about a week ago. It looked like a newer Silverado and it looked like it said CSX on the side. I've seen them a few times. Next time Ill make sure to take a picture.

I never knew Pan Am used CSX power that often. Do they have CSX power often going southbound too?
 #1354010  by 130MM

jmar896 wrote:I saw what looked like a CSX hyrail truck right before the bridge over the Wachusett about a week ago. It looked like a newer Silverado and it looked like it said CSX on the side. I've seen them a few times. Next time Ill make sure to take a picture.

I never knew Pan Am used CSX power that often. Do they have CSX power often going southbound too?
Are you possibly confusing the blue Pan Am stickers that many of their trucks have with a CSX sticker?
 #1354065  by BostonUrbEx

jmar896 wrote:I never knew Pan Am used CSX power that often. Do they have CSX power often going southbound too?
The only CSX power on PAR is usually for SEPO/POSE. Two, sometimes three, units will come up on SEPO, then turn back as the next POSE. You'll typically have two sets of CSX power on PAR at any given time. I think there's a max of three sets allowed?
 #1354151  by BandA

newpylong wrote:CSX has no rights over the line anymore - they terminated when their racks stopped going to the Ford plant.
Ford plant?
 #1354152  by jaymac

Company talk for the former ramp site at Willows Road south of the 2 track that was replaced by the current site across from the milling...
 #1354162  by boatsmate

Track Work has been going on, on the line, over the past week Stick rail and ties are piled up at Burncoat st and it look like stone has been moved around (just east of Burncoat st) also another MOW piece of equipment has shown up on the siding on Shrewsbury st. I was unable to see what it was drove by to fast and caught it out of the corner of my eye. might be working on the yard section as it has been in tough shape for a while. I will attempt to investigate later next week and report back
 #1354189  by frrc

Wonder when they'll raise the speed restriction on that section of track in Lancaster '? I recall it was 5mph a while ago.

JoeF
 #1354191  by jaymac

Most dreaded sound over the scanner on the Worcester Main? "B&M Detector, Mileage Seven-Point-Eight, Checking Train." If you're close enough to get the transmission, but not already at the Temple Street crossing, you will not see the power, but you will see the stately pace of all the different types of cars and the variety of their reporting marks and variety of their tags moving deliberately -- so deliberately -- past you. 25 mph surely is quicker than 10, but it sure doesn't seem it when the train's between you and you wanna be.
 #1354238  by CPF363

The line really needs a face lift over its entire distance, but good to hear they are at least doing something. A lot needs to be done, roughly half of all of the ties on the line are shot as is the condition of the overall road bed. The line between Greendale and just east of Oakdale is made up of welded rail put in 20 or so years ago and is in the best shape while the remainder of the route to Harvard is old stick rail with low joints. Hopefully this work with do something to reduce the Ayer to Worcester running time. It is puzzling as to why the the Worcester Route, Stony Brook and the Lowell Branch are in the conditions that they are in today with these being their mainlines and all. The run from Barber to Lowell Jct. is a long five hour trip on a good day given the current track conditions, when back in the 1990s the running time over the same distance was half of what it is today.