Railroad Forums 

• Why no ex- B&M/MEC/D&H engines?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#56562  by NYNE

Massachsuetts has the means to tax industrial equipment. When people think of property taxes, they usually think of land, but in Massachusetts the entire classification covers large items as well. I am not sure if this is the mechanism under which locomotives would be taxed but I am guessing it is. I wonder if the railroads have to pay excise tax on locomotives too, the way we have to pay them on our cars in Mass. Thanks for explaining that it is a tax thing whatever the means.

#63768  by NellsChoo

Hmmmm... just saw some pics of engines in the '90s of engines in Guilford paint with "BM" wearing through on the nose.

Also, my boyfriend remarked that in the early '80s, he saw a fleet of new B&M engines in transit. Were they new? Just shopped? If they were new, why would Guilford want to get rid of them so fast?? I think there may be more to this topic than I thought!

What was this shipment of blue bombers Todd saw?

#65435  by AmtrakFan

jrc520 wrote:well, the old stuff wasn't really taken care of to start with, so Guilford just ran it into the ground. I used to wonder that myself, but yea, they took stuff that wasn't really fixed up much to begin with and yea, I'm starting to sound like a broken record :P
Yes Guilford never cared about their Locomotive Fleet. Also why would Guilford give Locomotives to a competor very odd?

AmtrakFan

#65563  by NellsChoo

I was recently given an explaination as to why there WERE ex-B&M engines in Guilford paint. Those new engines Todd saw were leased, and therefore returned after a certain date. Makes some sence...

#72970  by camster202

The "BM" wearing through on the nose that 'NellsChoo' mentioned a little while back was applied after Guilford bought the GP40's from Conrail (the ones lettered for B&M, road 326-342). That was applied onto the nose by them, not by the original BM.