Railroad Forums 

• Derailment on MEC in Orrington

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#36716  by trainsinmaine

A Guilford freight transporting "clay" and chemical materials to the Champion paper mill in Bucksport went off the track this evening (7/21) in Orrington, at the Route 15 crossing. Several tank cars derailed. A 'hazmat" team was called in to evacuate nearby households after reports had been received that smoke was emanating from one of the cars, but it was discovered the emission was harmless. A local resident was interviewed on one of the Bangor TV stations and, stating that he and his child walk the track regularly (thus incriminating himself, wot?), he commented that it's been in bad shape for a long time. He regularly finds loose spikes. I heard a similar report recently from a railfan who a few weeks ago drove down the Martin Stream Road between Norridgewock and Oakland, which parallels the Somerset Branch, and he said the track looked awful. Another accident waiting to happen? . . .

#36987  by NellsChoo

Watch a freight go by the Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum here in MA. The ties are rotted away, and the rails move up and down with each wheel. And there are lots of date nails to be found because those ties are so OLD! But I won't complain TOO much... I'm lucky there's any trains at all in MA...

Jonelle

#38680  by sandpvrr

Hello All,
Ironically - after trainsinmaine posted that 'another accident waiting to happen' comment - some time late this past week (Friday, saturday or Sunday I think) there was a derailment on the Madison branch (the area being referred too) I don't have details, I heard about it second or third hand on Sunday.
Speaking of the wreck in Orrington (on the Bucksport branch) - trains are now running through it, it would appear they have fixed the track some what - but the cars that did derail are still there.
Supposedly a couple of days ago, a crane was headed this way from E. Deerfield. Somehow I've managed to lose track of it, has anyone seen it? Not easy to miss a 250 ton crain on rails but.....
Thanks all!
cya, Joey