Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1503630  by BM6569

Caught 3401 an 502 on Friday passing through Auburn with only 2 cars! Both boxes. I followed them to Strawberry Ave where a taxi was waiting with a FRED. Definitely an odd sight
 #1503683  by CPF363

BM6569 wrote:For the most part, they wouldn't be replacing old CWR. It's nearly all stick rail from Yarmouth to Waterville I believe except maybe some sections near Yarmouth or on curves west of Danville Jct?
It was suggested that some of the rail that could be removed as part of the BUILD grant could be re-positioned to the main line east of Bangor to replace 85lb rail that is in worse shape than the rail to be replaced between Waterville and Royal Jct. It may be possible to crop and weld some of the rail that is to be removed to make a few strings of CWR but that would depend on its overall condition.
 #1503687  by BM6569

gokeefe wrote:Where exactly in Auburn and headed in what direction?
I caught it heading east at Court St and followed it to Strawberry Ave in Lewiston
 #1503775  by gokeefe

BM6569 wrote:
gokeefe wrote:Where exactly in Auburn and headed in what direction?
I caught it heading east at Court St and followed it to Strawberry Ave in Lewiston
Sounds like DJ-1.
 #1503948  by backroadrails

By the sounds WAMA didn't have a good day today. They had 600-619-616-315 as power, and the 616 kept having mechanical issues, so two or three maintainers rode in it. Around Newport they ended up going into emergency and by the looks it was a issue with the 616.
 #1504049  by 690

I don't know what sort of issue you're talking about, but WAMA didn't have any issues making it to NMJ. They actually made really good time between Waterville and NMJ.
 #1504536  by backroadrails

MAWA derailed last night around Enfield, by the sounds they have 10-15 cars on the ground per D1 dispatch. MAWA dropped about 30 cars at NMJ, and headed back to Enfield this morning, they have a mobile crane on scene right now. By the sounds WAMA/MAWA is being replaced in April by WANM/NMWA and the only trains to the Keag will be the tie trains. I haven't been able to confirm this info, but like most things on Pan Am, you only find out right before it happens, or after.
 #1504570  by backroadrails

roberttosh wrote:Does that mean they’re going back to the CMQ haulage?
Yes, according to another report on Facebook, by the sounds they were going to do it in April, but have decided to start doing it immediately. It should be noted that GMTX 3052 which is on lease to NBSR was sent west to pull a good deal of cars back to the Keag. They only made it to Lincoln, where they came across a spot where the soft roadbed gave out, and created a sun-kink like obstruction. This is purely speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the cause of the derailment.