Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1502590  by BM6569

New Maine DOT 3 year project list shows upgrade for the Pan Am mainline from Yamouth to Waterville for THIS year. Description says "Rail Operational Improvements - PE only" . $538,000
 #1502625  by gokeefe

Pretty sure "PE Only" means "Project Engineering Only".

So the $538K is only budgeted for engineering costs. That's for about 72 miles of rail. Given that Danville Junction and Royal Junction are already done I would estimate the total project at about $80,000,000.

($1M per mile for 72 miles plus Leeds Junction rehab).

Sounds just about right to me.
 #1502632  by CN9634

Supposed to be switches, signals and other comm, as well as some rail but I don't believe a full rebuild at said $1M a mile cost. Even that figure is now dated... its like $1.25M in today's dollars to fully rehab a mile of track to 40MPH. Since much of the line is already at 25MPH, what I heard is the work is focused on getting signals, old switches and new control points established. This was already mentioned previously in this thread I believe.
 #1502641  by newpylong

Who is going to be paying for it? Surely not Pan Am... Considering North Adams to Hoosick Junction is now dark because they are trying to get someone else to fix the CTC for them.
 #1502646  by CPF363

gokeefe wrote:So the $538K is only budgeted for engineering costs. That's for about 72 miles of rail. Given that Danville Junction and Royal Junction are already done I would estimate the total project at about $80,000,000.
What did they do to the Danville Junction and Royal Junction portion of the line?
CN9634 wrote:Supposed to be switches, signals and other comm, as well as some rail but I don't believe a full rebuild at said $1M a mile cost. Even that figure is now dated... its like $1.25M in today's dollars to fully rehab a mile of track to 40MPH. Since much of the line is already at 25MPH, what I heard is the work is focused on getting signals, old switches and new control points established. This was already mentioned previously in this thread I believe.
Would this project re-establish the ABS system between Leeds and Danville? Does Danville Junction have functioning control points at each end with a short section of CTC in between? Where would the new control points be established?
newpylong wrote:Who is going to be paying for it? Surely not Pan Am... Considering North Adams to Hoosick Junction is now dark because they are trying to get someone else to fix the CTC for them.
Is the railroad working on the signal project now?
 #1502649  by gokeefe

KSmitty wrote:Its the new version of Tiger. The names been changed, but its still a federal transportation grant, likely with a match requirement.
CRISI ... Consolidated Rail Infrastructure and Safety Improvements Program
 #1502651  by gokeefe

CPF363 wrote:What did they do to the Danville Junction and Royal Junction portion of the line?
Reference was not to a line segment. It's to the junctions specifically. They were both rebuilt. One last year (Royal) the other several years ago (Danville).
 #1502668  by KSmitty

Danville is just an interlocking, CPF 168. There are no other CTC installations between 185 and 168. 168 just controls the actual interchange switches.

Royal was tied into the CTC with both ends of Walnut getting interlocks. CTC continues up the lower road, but ends at Walnut siding on the back road.

Leeds Junction is supposed to get some new switches, an interlocking of at least the west wye switch, "Leeds Jct." If they were able they should also consider moving the west end from Roy further west, lengthening the siding. Being the mid point for both POWA and PORU extra room west of the junction would prove operationally valuable. But I imagine if they extend anything it would be something like fairgrounds that has existing graded roadbed and would require less fill and work to prepare the roadbed, since the subgrade work is so pricey.