Railroad Forums 

• Conrail locomotives equipped for the NEC

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#620116  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

Good stuff there,I know everybody you listed. Those were the days for shure and yes,you were given a great gift in getting the inside look of our railraoad. Thanks for taking those photos and maybe some day you will want to do a book on CR. let me know. R.R.Gottschall
 #761549  by SooLineRob

LSL = Locomotive Speed Limiter

It was a system that supplemented (enforced speed limits) the Cab Signal System (CSS) used on Amtrak' Northeast Corridor.
 #761565  by Noel Weaver

Almost all Conrail road locomotives and most of the yard locomotives too were equipped with cab signals and train stop.
Only the locomotives that were used as lead units on the NEC were equipped with LSL. This included a bunch of SD-40-2's,
B-23-7's, some GP-38-2's I think and most if not all of the wide cabs. Without LSL up to date, tested and in working
condition the engine was not good to lead on the NEC. I believe this was not only Amtrak's requirement but a federal
requirement as well. I think there were two exceptions the Philadelphia - Harrisburg line and the New Haven - Springfield
line but even on these two the lead locomotive had to have operative cab signals and train stop.
This is one reason that other than former Conrail engines on the NS, no foreign road engines can lead on the Boston and
Albany nor on the Hudson Line. The Hudson Line requires LSL but the B & A only requires working cab signals and train stop.
Noel Weaver