Railroad Forums 

• What is Conrail Shared Assets?

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#733353  by spatcher

airman00 wrote:
spatcher wrote:
airman00 wrote:excuse me for opening an old thread, but if conrail is now CSA, why are csx and ns so wanting to paint over the few remaining conrail engines to there colors? I understand your property, your business and all that. I also get the fact that those companies want people to know whose in charge and all that.

But shouldn't there be a few engines mandated to stay in conrail colors as long as conrail still technically operated, (even though it's conrail shared assets), not just the few engines they haven't gotten around to painting over yet?

I mean as long as conrail still technically exsists why aren't there engines just becoming like...csa engines?
Why? The shared assists owns no locomotive. All locos used by SAC are leased from either the NS or CSX.
Yes, but those engines are running on csa trackage, and a previous post mentioned they (conrail) are a terminal and switching company, I don't know what that means, maybe someone can elaborate, but since they technically still exsist, there should at least be a handful of "csa only" engines.
No there shouldn't. SAC does not own any engines, so they are painted the way the company that leased them to SAC wants, in this cases either CSX or NS.
Just an example, the B&OCT is still a railroad, owns track and has employees, but no engines painted for it.
Last edited by spatcher on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #742057  by GSC

I saw above something about competition? Does that mean, as a shipper, I can hire either CSX or NS to haul my freight? Is local switching assigned to just one carrier? Or is the service a leased-by-Conrail deal, and the freight is taken to a terminal of either CSX or NS?

If, say, I shipped from the Freehold Industrial Track, from whom would the shipping invoice come? CR, CSX, or NS?
 #742126  by JimBoylan

If you are in the ConRail Shared Assets Areas, your bill is not from ConRail but from CS or NS, whichever you choose. Even if it's a local move on the Freehold Industrial Track, you still choose which "route" to use and be billed by. You could still get a ConRail bill for renting real estate from them.
I don't know it there are any places in the ConRail Shared Assets Areas with reciprocal switching privileges where you would get the bill from CP, for instance.
 #742399  by rtfoley

JimBoylan wrote:If you are in the ConRail Shared Assets Areas, your bill is not from ConRail but from CS or NS, whichever you choose. Even if it's a local move on the Freehold Industrial Track, you still choose which "route" to use and be billed by. You could still get a ConRail bill for renting real estate from them.
I don't know it there are any places in the ConRail Shared Assets Areas with reciprocal switching privileges where you would get the bill from CP, for instance.
Judging by the NS and CSX Tariffs 8001, there are no current CSAO-served industries in NJ/PA that are open to reciprocal switching. There are, however, many industries in the Detroit SAA that are open to reciprocal switching.

Norfolk Southern: website, PDF

CSX Transportation: website, PDF

Both tariff documents contain provisions for customers in NJ, so it's a possibility in the future.

I checked the CP and CN websites for any reciprocal switch references but I didn't find any customers in the Conrail-served areas. I do know of some cars that recently came into Oak Island for a CP-served customer in Newark. The CSX should have assessed fees in this case, but I'm unsure what they charged or who paid the bill.
 #766878  by Detroit

chuchubob wrote:
airman00 wrote:excuse me for opening an old thread, but if conrail is now CSA,..
CSA lost a war to USA 145 years ago.
Conrail is now CSAO.
The Norfolk and Southern was originally derived from the pre-Civil War railroad at Petersburg VA (next to Fort Lee) that CSA General Mahone owned during 1862. The final ten months of that war was fought around Petersburg--a hub for five railroads serving Richmond--25 miles north.

General Mahone was dubbed the hero at the Battle of the Crater in 1864 during the War of Northern Aggression after the Union (largely black) troops jumped into the crater (instead of going around it) left behind by an explosion of gunpowder in a tunnel underneath a Confederate fort in Petersburg. The Union troops were easily picked off and killed there after General Mahone got his troops reorganized after the blast.

At the time of the explosion, two or three of the Union generals in charge of that military operation were safely behind Union lines, getting drunk and drunker...

After being drafted during 1968, I served in the Vietnam War by being assigned to Fort Lee as an OJT TV director and producer for the headquarters and headquarters company (HHC) of the Quartermaster Corps. Previously, I was a chief engineer at a couple radio stations and also worked in TV. Furthermore, being assigned to the night crew there meant that I would be exempt from most military functions, such as duties, rosters, and all. Fort Lee is a fancy, largely pre-retirement fort with two 18-hole golf courses, etc.
 #766889  by Detroit

runnerup wrote:
Chessie GM50 wrote:Well, in the late 1990's conrail was divided 52%-NS as the PRR, and 48%-CSX as the NYC.
The split is 58% NS and 42% CSX.
Both are correct, as the percentage share has been evolving all along. I reckon that the 58/42 split will probably be the final assessment.
 #769775  by Detroit

keeper1616 wrote:Fascinating history, but lets try to stay on the topic at hand...
Yes, I realize that there is so much traffic in this withering subforum...
 #769778  by Detroit

photorailfan wrote:Off topic but i just had to mention that The crater you mentioned with union troops running into reminds me of the opening scenes from the movie cold mountain.
The crater is still somewhat visible, as part of a federal battlefield park. With a mock-up of the federal tunnel entrance and all. However, erosion over 146 years has pretty much flattened the "crater" somewhat.

That battle could have shortened the war by several months if the Union generals responsible for that operation were not drinking and mostly unaware that they were commanding troops in battle during wartime...

Anyway, William Mahone went back to running and expanding his railroad that mostly ran from Norfolk to Petersburg after the war. His partially failed railroad was eventually purchased by Northeners who then formed the Norfolk & Western in 1881--now the Norfolk Southern, as we know.
 #778960  by TREnecNYP

Hey, just wanted to let folks know that my girlfriend's dad works for CRSA, and is currently assigned at the auto yard at the port of newark in new jersey. He worked for PC, then CR, now CRSA If you have any questions for him i would be more than happy to ask.

- A
 #782621  by checkthedoorlight

The following lines are operated by CSAO:

Operations West, Detroit District:
Detroit Line (CP-WEST DETROIT to MP 20)
Michigan Line (CO-BAY CITY JCT to CP-TOWNLINE)
North Yard Branch (CP-SCOTTEN to CP-NORTH YARD)
Sterling Secondary (CP-NORTH YARD to MP 23.9)
Lincoln Industrial (CP-ECORSE JCT to Lincoln Yard)
Lincoln Secondary (CP-ECORSE JCT to CP-CARELTON)

Operations East, North Jersey District:
Lehigh Line (CP-VALLEY to CP-PORT READING JCT)
Passaic & Harsimus Line (WA-5 to end of line)
National Docks Branch (CP-CROXTON to UPPER BAY)
Northern Branch (HACK to CP-1)
Amboy Secondary (CQ to MIDWAY)
Chemical Coast Secondary (PN to WOOD)
Freehold Secondary (JAMESBURG to FARMINGDALE)
Port Reading Secondary (CP-BOUND BROOK to Port Reading Yard)
Southern Secondary (BANK to LAKEHURST)

Operations East, South Jersey District:
Morrisville Line (MORRIS to CP-MA)
Delair Branch (CP-HATCH to CP-PARK)
Beesleys Point Secondary (CP-BROWN to PAL)
Chester Secondary (EASTWICK to LESTER; 60th St SOUTH to 90th St NORTH shared with SEPTA)
Penns Grove Secondary (CP-WOODBURY to DEEP)
Vineland Secondary (COOPER to LANDIS)

and the following industrial tracks:
60th St
Avenue A
Bay Shore Connecting
Bayonne
Bayways
Beesleys Point
Bloodgood
Bonhamton
Bristol
Bustleton
Cateret
Center St
Central Ave
Chester
Claymont
Constable Hook
Deepwater Point
Delaware
Delco Lead
Delmoor
Detroit Beltline
Detroit Terminal East/West
Doremus Ave
Elizabeth
Florence
Frankford St
Garwood
Girard Pt
Grenloch
Hatch
Highland Park
Hightstown
Ingram
Irvington
Lincoln
Linden
Manufacturers
Marsh
Millstone
Millville
Miracle Run
Newark & NY
Paulsboroo
Pemberton
Pannsauken
Perth Amboy
Petty Island
Philadelphia Beltline
Raritan
Reformatory
Richmond
Robbinsville
Rock
Shell
Sherman Ave
Soundshore
Supermarket Lead
Swanson St
Swede
Terminal East/West
Third
Toms River
Trenton
Utica
Vineland

as of June 1, 1999 everything else which was formerly Conrail property was turned over to either NS or CSX.
 #815653  by westernfalls

TREnecNYP wrote:Hey, just wanted to let folks know that my girlfriend's dad works for CRSA, and is currently assigned at the auto yard at the port of newark in new jersey. He worked for PC, then CR, now CRSA If you have any questions for him i would be more than happy to ask.
Yes. Ask him who issues his paycheck.
Has Conrail ceased to be the Consolidated Rail Corportation?
Conrail's web site does not capitalize the words shared assets area, but they do put them in italic.
The CR reporting mark belongs to Norfolk Southern; the others (CRSA, CSA, CSAO) seem to be made up.