Railroad Forums 

• CN Derailment

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#294661  by trainiac

Money should never have precedence over safety. CN's incredibly low operating ratio is coming at the expense of the condition of its track and locomotives: This accident follows a number of major CN derailments in Canada in the last year.

#294888  by cifn2

terrible and that amtrak travels this track too!

#296166  by lock4244

Could have been a failure of the equipment... poorly maintained freightcar?

Will CN contact Fox news for a retraction and correction? After all, they did refer to CN as Canadian National, and we all know that's a big no-no.

#296420  by cifn2

CN prefers CN over Canadian National? why is that since they operate in both the US and Canada they want the Canadian part covered up?
 #296529  by Komachi

lock4244 quipped...

"Will CN contact Fox news for a retraction and correction? After all, they did refer to CN as Canadian National, and we all know that's a big no-no."

To wit, cifn2 replied...

"CN prefers CN over Canadian National? why is that since they operate in both the US and Canada they want the Canadian part covered up?"

(Best Nick Cage Impersonation) Who? What? Where?

Seriously, why the CN instead of Canadian National? Marketing? New corporate image similar to Burlington Northern Santa Fe changing to BNSF.... and only "BNSF?" Does this mean I need to have Mike or Otto change the header of this forum to "CN" from Canadian National? Is there something bad about being Canadian or associated with Canada? (Yeah, I know that's inviting mean-spirited commentary towards our neighbors to the north, but I will insist that you guys keep it CIVIL (and on topic). Otherwise, you hoseheads can just TAKE OFF, eh!!!! :P But seriously, play nice...)

#296595  by lock4244

HH decided that Canadian National would be refered to as CN. They claim it had everything to do with marketing since "CN" is a recognizable brand in Canada, but you have to wonder. I know I've heard the CN Tower refered to as the CNN tower by Americans and in the US media, so I assume there may be some confusion as to whether or not Ted Turner also has a railroad!

Then again, does the average American know that much about railroads to care? Maybe, as part of CN's continuing drive for effeciency they determined that just calling it CN saves 1) time and 2) huge savings in printer toner over the course of a year? These savings can add to shareholder value.

I still call it CN or Canadian National as I see fit... just don't start calling it Tim Hortons Rail :wink:

#296775  by murray83

the double double express :wink:
 #296778  by cifn2

Komachi wrote:lock4244 quipped...

"Will CN contact Fox news for a retraction and correction? After all, they did refer to CN as Canadian National, and we all know that's a big no-no."

To wit, cifn2 replied...

"CN prefers CN over Canadian National? why is that since they operate in both the US and Canada they want the Canadian part covered up?"

(Best Nick Cage Impersonation) Who? What? Where?

Seriously, why the CN instead of Canadian National? Marketing? New corporate image similar to Burlington Northern Santa Fe changing to BNSF.... and only "BNSF?" Does this mean I need to have Mike or Otto change the header of this forum to "CN" from Canadian National? Is there something bad about being Canadian or associated with Canada? (Yeah, I know that's inviting mean-spirited commentary towards our neighbors to the north, but I will insist that you guys keep it CIVIL (and on topic). Otherwise, you hoseheads can just TAKE OFF, eh!!!! :P But seriously, play nice...)
I didn't think anything was causing problems? I was just asking a logical question. Sorry
 #296864  by Komachi

cifn2,

I was just thinking aloud to the rest of the group... continuing on your's and lock4244's thoughts. I, too, am currious as to why the railroad (railway?) would want to deny it's "canadian-ness" (for lack of a better term).

Anybody wish to put forth a theory to that?

(Best Ben Stein Voice) Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

And getting back on topic...

Any news as to what the investigating authority (i.e. FRA, NSTSB, etc.) thinks may have been the cause of the derailment?

#296878  by trainiac

I, too, am currious as to why the railroad (railway?) would want to deny it's "canadian-ness" (for lack of a better term).
I don't have an answer for what almost seems like history denial on CN's part. However, I do find it intriguing that CP has gone in the opposite direction in recent years--from "CP Rail System" with dual Canadian/American flags to "Canadian Pacific Railway" with a distinctly Canadian beaver crest and a set of restored heritage locomotives and rolling stock touring the country. (In case it's not evident in my posts, my view of CN--at one point my all-time favourite railroad--has somewhat degraded in the last few years)

#296974  by cifn2

investigation I am not sure, but I know track separation appears to be the problem, the tracks were like really far apart in the area, where the cars derailed, near a switch, I saw some aerial photos last night from a friend who got them from some photographer they showed the rail way aways from the maintenance of way.

#297446  by lock4244

I can tell you this much... if Paul Tellier, a Canadian, had decreed the company is only to be refered to as CN, this would not be an issue. I think it's a marketing decision and because it was made by an American it seems fishy.

HH probably hates having the office in Montreal.

Now about the derailment, the eyewhitness said one car was already derailed and the pile-up occured when the wheels hit a grade crossing. If it was track separation, wouldn't the derailment have affected more than just one car or one truck of one car before the derailed car hit the crossing? Wouldn't all cars have derailed at the track separation? This assumes the eyewhitness is correct.

#298174  by cifn2

I was just looking at the photos, I guess it is possible the derailment broke out a section of field weld?