Railroad Forums 

• Is the Canadian National a good company to work for?

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#170206  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Hello All,

I have heard that the C.N is the most profitable railroad by far! How is it to work for? I have seen their engines and they look well kept!

Thanks,

Nashvillie Newbie

#170257  by AmtrakFan

I have heard it is not a good working enviroment. I'm sure Mr. Greenwood or some other CN Emplyoees would provide more info.

#170544  by Amtrak31

Their engines are indeed, very nice. Like John said, some other members could probably help you more. If you apply for the job, good luck...hope all goes well. :-)

#172833  by trainiac

Checked out the thread above... I was closely following the events (derailments) as they occured on CN this summer. While my views of railroads are generally unbiased and from a railfan's perspective, I have to say that I was extremely unimpressed with CN's performance this time around. That I should take sides against a railroad in an accident doesn't happen very often... :(

#183992  by ENR3870

I have to say, although I've only been working at CN for 4 weeks I really do like working for CN. To be quite honest I would rather work for CN than the Sleepy R, but that is because of some personal issues I have with CP.

#188237  by Bone

ENR3870 wrote:I have to say, although I've only been working at CN for 4 weeks I really do like working for CN. To be quite honest I would rather work for CN than the Sleepy R, but that is because of some personal issues I have with CP.
I use to feel the same as you.
But now I've been around awhile I don't feel like that at all.
I see people quiting, taking advantage of the 54/11, or just retiring.
And no one is being replaced.
At least in the maintenance end of things.

CN has the oldest workforce of any of the class one railways, and it doesn't seem to bother the upper management at all.
And it should.
They seem to think that 'more work, less men' is the way to go.