Railroad Forums 

• Lima "Shay" Critter

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#645654  by GSC

Years ago I saw some brochure pics of a Lima gas-mechanical critter that featured a geared line shaft, just like a Shay. Anyone have info on this? Any still surviving?
 #645937  by Allen Hazen

There's a photo in Kirkland's book ("The Diesel Builders: volume I: Fairbanks-Morse and Lima). My copy is on the wrong side of an ocean for me to consult right now, but I'm not sure more than one was ever built. Neat looking little critter: sort of like a GE 25 tonner (metal work too neat to be a Plymouth!), but with a Shay-style cardan shaft instead of side rods.
 #646123  by GSC

I seem to recall that you could operate it from either side, two lengthwise seats and controls in the middle of the floor. Wished I had that brochure, it belonged to someone else.

Glad someone else knows about this unit! I hate when I tell people something and they think I'm nuts!

(Well, I am, a little, but not that bad yet)