Railroad Forums 

• Is this a Snowplow? In south Louisiana?

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#47082  by SRS125

That is a snow plow that you have there. These are called Jordon Spreaders. There used in the winter to plow snow. During the summer months they are fit for both makeing and cleaning out ditches and spreading out ballest as well.

#47499  by shortlinerailroader

Thanks, SRS125. I bet that does make one heck of a ballast regulator.
Last edited by shortlinerailroader on Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#47669  by SRS125

I have never seen one of these plows in action. I have seen them only on a video thow.

#47812  by AmtrakFan

I have never seen one in service myself also it's weird that a Snow Plow can clean Ballest and clean Ditches.

AmtrakFan
 #55623  by Klamb

ITs called a Jordan Spreader.

#57212  by Delta

A Jordan spreader make and clean ditches? Where? Never seen that one.

Only thing I've ever seen them used for has been to plow snow ot to initially smooth out freshly dumped ballast and riprap. They don't really regulate ballast, either, as that is done by a seperate piece of MOW equipment.

#57370  by mu26aeh

last year here in Gettysburg on CSX Hanover Sub, Jordan Spreader was in the area for quite a few days, and clearing/cleaning ditches and along the line was what it was doing. did a heck of a job
 #57431  by Klamb

This is straight out of the MoW operations handbook.

Purpose: Spreading fill, widening embankments, creating and cleaning ditches, leveling sub-grade, spreading fouled ballast, flood cleanup, plowing blown and drifted sand, and clearing snow drifts.

Description: The Jordan Ditcher is a machine designed for performing many various operations with the assistance of a locomotive.
Although the Jordan ditcher is equipped with a diesel engine, the power from the engine is used solely to drive hydraulic pumps. The hydraulic pumps are used to supply hydraulic oil necessary for operating the wings and plows.

Operation of the Jordan Ditcher is accomplished using two operators. Each side of the ditcher consists of wings and plows which are operated (raised and lowered) independently, one by each operator.

Yes there are different models so they look and operate a little differently. But there you go all the info and more you could want on the beast.
 #57433  by Klamb

Also if you look at the photo, you will see that the wings are tucked in, it looks much cooler when they are spread out.
 #57452  by 2nd trick op

CP has had one spreading ballast on its Sunbury Line for most of the summer, basing it at Nescopeck, Penna. I've encountered it out on the road a few times, usually with several MW hoppers in tow.

#58687  by shortlinerailroader

Thanks, all. I work for a modest RR with only a Fairmont tamper and a Kershaw regulator.
 #59255  by Delta

Klamb wrote:This is straight out of the MoW operations handbook.

Purpose: Spreading fill, widening embankments, creating and cleaning ditches, leveling sub-grade, spreading fouled ballast, flood cleanup, plowing blown and drifted sand, and clearing snow drifts.

Description: The Jordan Ditcher is a machine designed for performing many various operations with the assistance of a locomotive.
Although the Jordan ditcher is equipped with a diesel engine, the power from the engine is used solely to drive hydraulic pumps. The hydraulic pumps are used to supply hydraulic oil necessary for operating the wings and plows.

Operation of the Jordan Ditcher is accomplished using two operators. Each side of the ditcher consists of wings and plows which are operated (raised and lowered) independently, one by each operator.

Yes there are different models so they look and operate a little differently. But there you go all the info and more you could want on the beast.
So how does that apply to a Jordan spreader? I could see the spreader doing some light ditch cleaning, but I'd lay money on a derailment in you tried to do heavy ditching. I've seen those things start lifting off the track just spreading ballast or rip rap.
 #59353  by Klamb

A 200,000 lbs train has no problem cutting a 3 foot ditch into just about anything without a derail problem.