Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Dash 7's

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#39349  by nolifeCRchaser

Are the BNSF B23-7's still on the roster or where they retired? I saw one about 4 or 5 months ago on one of our trains but I was unable to get a picture of it. If they are still in use, where are they usually working? Are there any other GE Dash 7's still in use on the BNSF? Thanks in advance for the info.

#39363  by Justin B

I think the last 15 or so remaining B23-7s are in local service in Texas. Nearly all of the C30-7s are gone... shipped to Estonia and Brazil I think. As of Feb. 2004 3 remained. I do not know of their current status. All of the B30-7A have been retired. The one unit I would like to know about is the lone ex ATSF SF30B. It was running around as late as 2002 but I do not have a retirement date for that one. Anyone else have more info?

#39467  by Joe

Something tells me that they aren't just in Texas. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=68752. Also, back in May, there were at least two B23-7s in Bluebonnet working in the BNSF (CB&Q line) yards just out of Chicago. Then in early June, I saw one of them on a train out of Chicago. I think they are just extremely rare.

#40372  by nolifeCRchaser

Thank you for the info. Hopefully another will make its way east before they are all retired.

#47001  by XBNSFer

They've still got about 70 on the roster...

http://www.online-isp.com/~rcraig/BNSF.HTML

Easy to lose sight of 70 units on a system so large!

#47139  by SSW9389

The correct name for the paint job in the linked picture is Yellowbonnet. Always has been, always will be. The Bluebonnet paint scheme you refer to was only applied to some Passenger F units at the very end of their careers on Santa Fe. The blue was placed where the red used to be in the warbonnet paint scheme.

Joe wrote:Something tells me that they aren't just in Texas. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=68752. Also, back in May, there were at least two B23-7s in Bluebonnet working in the BNSF (CB&Q line) yards just out of Chicago. Then in early June, I saw one of them on a train out of Chicago. I think they are just extremely rare.

#59294  by RiverMP21

We have two ex-ATSF B23-7s working out of St. Louis right now... one on the Cuba local, and one switching in the yard.

#63351  by GN 599

A couple of months ago I was Brakin' and our second unit (where the Brakeman usually rides) was a B23-7 but I will have to look at my timeslip to determine its number. It even had the AAR type B trucks. It was a neat old motor. At track speed I peeked out back on the walkway as it was pointing the way of our lead unit to get the whole experience since it was the first time actually riding in one. It was a starry moonlit central Oregon night and when it would wind up it would stop, then continue revving up, resulting in a nice flame job. Oh wait this is the kind of crap I am supposed to be jabbering about when I am retired. Unfortunatley the whole tour of duty was at night so I didnt get to take a picture of it.