• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#20531  by n2xjk

From DallasNews.com:

NTSB investigating fatal Grayson County train wreck

08:45 AM CDT on Thursday, May 20, 2004

From Staff and Wire Reports

A National Transportation Safety Board team arrived in Grayson County on Thursday to investigate the collision of two freight trains that collided head-on Wednesday afternoon several miles north of Gunter. The collision killed one person, injured four others and closed a major rail line north of Dallas.

U.S. Department of Transportation officials were also on the scene early Thursday.

About 20 cars from the Burlington Northern Santa Fe trains derailed, but officials said there were no hazardous materials involved. However, a hazardous materials crew was called to the scene to clean up spilled diesel fuel. One train was loaded with rocks; one is empty. At least one of the locomotives burned, officials said.

#20915  by Justin B

I count 3 SD40-2s and 1 GP60.

One of the Cascade Green SD40-2s and the GP60 have bent frames. They are beyond repair. The cab on the GP60 looks salvageable, so that might be cut off and the rest of the hulk torched.

The other Cascade Green SD40-2 and the Heritage 1 SD40-2 look repairable, but I wonder if BNSF is going to want to sink all that money into those units. They are already selling off their fleet of second generation EMDs so they either might strip the usable parts and junk the rest, or sell it to a leasing company and let them rebuild it.
 #20922  by LCJ

One engineer's life is over, another crewmember's is changed dramatically -- and he still may not recover due to severe burns. The other two crewmembers have survived to tell about the horror of seeing a headlight coming at them on single track.

Locomotives are replaceable and recyclable, people are not. Dark territory is definitely no place for confusion about where main track authority begins and ends. Only one train was supposed to be there.

You know, that law of physics about two objects not being able to occupy the same space at the same time....

#20935  by TerryC

Which locomotives were leading and which ones were trailing? Another thing I thought of is this; If a locomotive were in a terrible incident the railroad might have to change the number so it would not bring back painfull memories. Here is Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe 144*; looks as bad as 142^

http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net/
keep asking, keep learning

* http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=37102

^ http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=62644

Ps The GP60M's prime mover looks salvageable.
How do you erase unwanted posts; it was much easier in the original format of this website?[/i]

#20976  by CLiner2005

Is Gunter, TX on the former M-K-T?

Thanks,

#20996  by transit383

If a locomotive were in a terrible incident the railroad might have to change the number so it would not bring back painfull memories.
In February 1996, there was a head on collision in Secaucus, NJ involving two NJ Transit commuter trains. GP40PH-2 4148 was wrecked with its engineer killed. Upon rebuilding the locomotive, NJ Transit renumbered it to 4219. I imagine that a railroad would renumber any rebuilt locomotive involved in a fatal wreck.

What became of GP60 #144 that was wrecked in 1995? Was it rebuilt and renumbered?

#23691  by missthealcos

I think it's somewhat policy to renumber units involved in fatal wrecks....BCR C-425 808 was reneumbered 800 after a fatal wreck, becoming the only number like it on the roster, everything else starts at 01