Railroad Forums 

• INteresting locomotives at Galesburg, Illinois

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#244041  by Komachi

Two words...

"OH SWEET!!!!!!" :-D

That, sir (madam?) is a very nice shot. I especially like the two SD-7/9s in Cascade Green on the sixth track over... although I can't identify what that first gen. geep is that is with them (GP-10?).

BTW, what's with the corelation between the larger radiator grilles and enlarged fuel tanks? Was there a fuel tank heater that was installed so that the diesel wouldn't "gel" in the colder, northern climates? Just currious about that.

#244073  by emd_SD_60

Yep, that gray engine with the SD9's is a ex-IC GP10, still in Midsouth colors.
 #244099  by Komachi

emd_sd_60 replied...

"Yep, that gray engine with the SD9's is a ex-IC GP10, still in Midsouth colors."

Yatta! ("All Right!") I win a cookie! :-D

Did Paducah do the GP-10 program for BN, or was that an in-house program that they did on their own? (Can't remember off-hand if they did or if they outsourced it... I know GTW had Paducah do theirs.)

Edit: Yeah! My 555th post (more or less)... the number of my favorite DM&E unit (now retired). Edited by myself at 12:09pm, 5/8/06.

#244275  by Komachi

Ah... I thought you meant the two boosters behind that 40, but just took a better look at that photo... it's just a shadow on that first booster (thought it had an uber grille on it the first time I looked at that photo... something like the RS-11 had... my bad).

Still, it doesn't answer my question. What is the purpose of the vents? Just extra air intake? Or what?

Just wondering.

#244733  by Engineer James

AMAZING!!!!! gOOD SHOT OF OLD POWER!!! l LoVED THE Mid-South colors! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

#244860  by route_rock

Great shot but you just missed us making that move I guess as I am the one that moved that WAMX over to the junk from Silvis. Those SD-9's I think are going in to have some repairs ( not sure where but they are still there with the Midsouth unit) and the WAMX and that junk is gone now.
Over at the north ready side we have an SW unit tied on to a gray tunnel motor, it would be left of the sand house and up.
We also have a gp9 in AF yellow on the east stub by the shop with a sd 9 getting ready for both to be sold off.
I do believe thats the 6100 on 5 track by the sand house. If thats the case she is a SD 9-3 and lead qualified.
Come on back and take more pictures I promise to wave if I see you up there.

#245923  by U-Haul

I Should Have Specidied In My First Post That I DID NOT Take This Photo. Sorry For Any Confusion.

STAR TREK 40TH ANNIVERSARY.

#246463  by GN 599

Last time I checked that 6121's inut shaft for the air compressor wasnt turning thats why they shipped it out. It was stored in Interbay with that 6122 for a couple of years. Are they coming back into service. I know the 6122 was laid up good order. I've ran that 6121 when it was out here.