Railroad Forums 

• BNSF 4340

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#175896  by EJ&ESDM809

I have seen BNSF Dash 9 4340 twice recently, once at Rochelle and again today in Coal City. More then half of its paint is missing on the front, and some paint is missing on one side inder the cab with the number written in small white paint. Ity looks like this engine hit something really big.

#176333  by Amtrak31

That's one interesting engine, let me tell you. I think it actually looks kind of cool. It's the oddball out of all of the other engines. This was my second time seeing it. I saw it in Downers Grove once also.
 #176436  by Komachi

We got a "redneck special" out on the line? (Think of a Monte Carlo, Camaro, El Camino or Mopar that's a majority color of primer or bondo (fiberglass body filler) instead of it's factory paint job.) Anybody got pics? Is it a patch job from fading paint or a patch job from a wreck (as has been aluded to in earlier posts)? Just wondering.
Last edited by Komachi on Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#177126  by GN 599

Yep Ive had that motor on the point too. My friend was taking pics at work the other day and met it with a bunch of other mutants it happened to be with and said "look at Steves busted ass train" I certainly must agree. Reminds me of the 8070.

#177452  by emd_SD_60

Look at this pic of the 4340 before it's nose job, taken in 2002. It must have recieved it sometime in 2003-2004.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 3c2c35ce52
 #177711  by Komachi

GN 599,

So, they stuck you with the misfits, eh? Sounds like something that would happen to me if I was in train service. Eh, who cares if it looks pretty, so long as it hauls the train from point A to point B without shutting down, right? (Hey, I'd rather drive a rusted, dented '73 Chevy Impala, with mis-matching doors and hood that I knew was reliable than drive a new Porsche that spent half its time sitting at the dealership!)

Anyway, anybody got a shot of the 4340 after it was sideswiped (or whatever happened to it that caused it to be repainted)?

Just currious.
 #178039  by Komachi

Nick,

Those are nice shots, I especially like the shots from Treampelau, Wisconsin (been there a time or two).

However, are there any shots of it out there showing the damage? Torn metal, dents, scraped paint, mangled handrails, broken windows, etc.? Just currious.

#178082  by route_rock

I have hostled all this week and seen oddballs galore! No idea what happened to that poor girl. Had a few Dash 9's with new engine room doors in that shade from fires. One dash had all the paint on the top of the hood from the DB to the radiator and down the flanks about a foot to three foot burnt off.
Best was the Dash 9 I had with two SD-9's as trailers! They wouldnt let me spin em so the sd would have been leading long hood first ( I know evil man )But just to see a newbie engineer try to cut in the long hood control stand let alone run from it! Ahh I can hear the screaming already. Like monday night from the KCK crew who whined that the SD 40 was junk on the point and why didnt we spin the last unit ( a dash 9) " Fellas its a BO unit the other D-9 is a BO you either get the SD with the working toilet the GP with no weather stripping around the doors(it was 45 out) or the SD with a toilet that smells and no conductor desk! They were still crying when we got in the cab to go to the pit. My helper said something about them being old Santa Fe and that thats what the lead unit was painted so go and run it! CAn you feel the love?
 #178132  by Komachi

route_rock,

"Can you feel the love?"

Best delivery of that line, Denis Hopper in "E-ring" (well, at least the promos... I'm usually watching something else at that time).

Anyway...

"Best was the Dash 9 I had with two SD-9's as trailers! They wouldnt let me spin em so the sd would have been leading long hood first ( I know evil man )But just to see a newbie engineer try to cut in the long hood control stand let alone run from it! Ahh I can hear the screaming already."

Nothing wrong with some good, clean, fun at work.

Still... who in their right mind would turn down an opertunity to "drive" a "Cadillac?" Long hood forward or not, I'd give my right... um, arm, for a chance like that. But then again, I'm not in the industry (would like to, but don't think I meet the visual and physical qualifications), so I can't say with authority which is better. Although, from what I understand the "old hands" love the old SD-9s and everybody seems to like the SD40-2s.

The dash nines like to light up? Well, I've stated on various other forums about the asthetic deficentcies of the dash nines. I can only quote a friend of mine...

Fire makes everything pretty. :wink: :-D

But that's just my personal opinion.

"Like monday night from the KCK crew who whined that the SD 40 was junk on the point and why didnt we spin the last unit ( a dash 9) " Fellas its a BO unit the other D-9 is a BO you either get the SD with the working toilet the GP with no weather stripping around the doors(it was 45 out) or the SD with a toilet that smells and no conductor desk! They were still crying when we got in the cab to go to the pit."

I'd take the GP with no weather stripping (hey, I'm a Minnesotan, 45 is Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda shorts weather!), but that's me. Yet, they whined about a SD-40? (Read comments above about well-liked units.) How wet behind the ears are these guys? Eh, probably personal preference...

Anyway, anyone got any wreck, fire damage, or whatever happened to the 4340? (Trying to get back on topic after my rant there...)

#179301  by GN 599

I like gettin the older power its more fun because the Dash-9's have auto scan so its really easy for them to watch you. I have never gotten in trouble for speeding but they get onto guys about power and stretch braking. You guys should see the stuff thats at the roundhouse at Pasco WA its usually a riot of paint schemes and makes and models of locomotives. The only thing missing is Alco's. As for the 4340 I looked up her defect history and it had wreck/derailment 5/17/04 on its files. As I am typing this she is on a train in AZ right now.