Railroad Forums 

• Nebraska - Iowa question(s)

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#132643  by PVRX1

I will be in Omaha the end of June and want to do a little railfanning. I am semi familiar with the main routes. Does anyone have any information on these lines (as far as operations/traffic volumes):

(1) Council Bluffs, NE to Bayard, NE
(2) Red Oak, NE to Shenandoah, NE
(3) Louisville, NE to Union, NE

(4) Omaha Lincoln & Beatrice RR
(5) Nebraska Central RR

Thank you in advance

#132998  by boomcneil

Hi, I can rip some basic information from the Omaha/Council Bluffs Railfan group for you on these topics. However, I suggest you subscribe to it ask these questions to the seasoned RFs and they may be able to elaborate. http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/o ... _railfans/
I hope to give credit where credit is due here.

(1)As per Joe A, and Mark from the OM/CB Railfan Group: "The Bayard Local is called early Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday mornings at Gibson Yard, ties up at Bayard at day's end and returns the following day. Also, it sees grain trains occasionally run east on Saturdays & return west on Sundays after the Bayard job goes past. No times are given for these moves. The freq listed is 161.415 (Ch. 87). The local itself almost always has Geeps, typically the older GP35/38/39M variety. Unit grain trains on the branch can have bigger power, including the newest GEs and EMDs."
(2)Allan Hunt (circa 2001) says: "I've been watching the BNSF Red Oak to Farragut branch lately, and noticed the line had been embargoed from Essex to Farragut lately. Then the embargo was lifted, and some cars were placed and loaded at Shenandoah and Farragut. After they were pulled, the embargo was put back on." I'll try to get more info on this for you.
(3)This old MOPAC line services the Ash Grove Cement Plant in Louisville. As per Tim Vana: "The train is called for last I knew, Union, NE @7 or 8am. Some days are light and they're done in a few hours. Other days are more intense. There are work extras."
(4)Once again, as per Tim Vana on the OMRF Yahoo List: "The OL&B has three units--two @ Lincoln, the Rock Island SW1200 made into a CAT #47 and the original 44 Tonner #101. The GE 70 Tonner #102 is at Ashland, NE north of town @ Abel where it switches sand cars that BNSF hauls to Lincoln NE loaded and back empty. The OL&B starts early 5AM (!) so they are often done before NOON."
(5)Tim Vana again: "Last I knew--Central City to Brainerd (NW of Lincoln) was overnight operation. IIRC, most of the branches are evening/overnight operation, so Maintenance-of-way can be done uninterrupted all day."

Once again, this information may be currently outdated, but I hope it helps in some way. Thanks.

boo

#138093  by PVRX1

Thank you.

Plenty of main line action, last visit. Want to follow some of the smaller lines now.