Railroad Forums 

• Surplus Equipment of Historic Interest

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1416821  by RGlueck

I had a pleasant hour meeting today, with Chad Mowery, General Manager, of the Central Maine and Quebec Railroad. We spoke in his office, and while I am reporting back our discussion, in no manner do I speak for the CM&Q Rwy., Mr. Mowery, or other officers.

Regarding observation car 107, former Northern Pacific "Spokane Club": The railroad wants it off the property. They are aware of the historic role played by the car, but have no interest in running passenger excursions using it. The car is owned by a gentleman from Quebec, but his agreement to remove it has long expired. An extension has been granted to move it, but nothing has come of it. There are several other people expressing interest to purchase the car, including one organization in the region. The railroad is willing to entertain all proposals. Nobody has come forward with a hard plan, backed with dates, and showing financial ability to follow through. To see the car preserved, CM&Q will sell it for $1.00, but removal must be guaranteed.
The same arrangement goes for the remaining passenger cars on a siding at Derby shops. $1.00@, provide a removal plan, and they're yours. It would appear the interest from Canada has waned, on these vehicle.
Considering the cars are roller bearing equipped, and attached to live rail, I'd say the price is remarkably fair. Getting them moved has been and seems to remain, the fly in the ointment

Bangor & Aroostook F3A #502 - This is official- CM&Q is very much aware of the historic value of the locomotive. It needs minor work and traction motors, but under no conditions will it be scrapped. The company will protect and keep the locomotive in storage indefinitely. Should a potential buyer make a bid that is worthy of the locomotive's value, it would probably be reviewed, but not necessarily accepted. The CM&Q takes some pride in having this particular unit in the fleet, albeit in storage.
 #1416879  by Dcl1332

Thanks for the information. With 107 there was a go fund me page for it on Facebook in December. Glad to hear that 502 is safe just hope one day it will run again like 44 and 46.
 #1417060  by douellet

That was some good news about the 502. Just the fact that it is stored under cover is a real plus. Just look at what years sitting neglected outside did to the 470. It would be neat to see the 502 run again. Rode an excursion train pulled by it back in 1991 from Northern Maine Junction to Searsport as part of the B&A's centennial celebrations. Great railroad, a class operation in its day!
 #1417302  by cvrr5809

I remember coming up in the Summer 0f 1999 just before they closed the roundhouse at Northern Maine Junction, and the 502 was sitting shoved into a pile of dirt outside. I'll try digging up my slide of it. It was a damn shame. I wanna say the bell and possibly it's light were already taken off. It's real good that someone at least got it indoors again
 #1417765  by MEC407

Thanks very much for the report, Mr. Glueck. This is valuable information.

The $1 asking price on the cars is basically the same as saying, "If anyone has the financial capacity to own and operate a railcar, they can have them for free." If a person or group can't afford to move them, they almost certainly can't afford to own or operate them either. It costs a lot of money to own, maintain, and insure a railcar, even if you only paid a buck for it.

A very fair and generous offer on CMQ's part. Essentially they're willing to donate them to anyone truly capable of owning them. CMQ would surely be better off by scrapping them on site, but they're trying to do the right thing. That's very admirable.