Railroad Forums 

• Horizon Coach Refurbishment

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#76335  by hsr_fan

I'm glad to see that the Horizon cars are being improved. New trains such as the proposed "Talgo Lakeliner" may not become reality in the current environment, but at least there are some bright spots. I wouldn't mind trying out one of those Horizon business class seats for a 110 mph ride between Chicago and Springfield, IL! :wink:

#76338  by RMadisonWI

Not mentioned in the article (but the nerds among us would be interested in this little tidbit), the rebuilt cafes are being renumbered in the 58100 series. While I have not personally seen the cars in question, one friend of mine reported being on the 58100 on the Blue Water recently. Also, apparently the 58108 is on the West Coast, running the single-level Pacific Surfliner.

#76445  by hsr_fan

Any idea what happened to this car? I wonder if it will be repaired.

#76478  by RMadisonWI

hsr_fan wrote:Any idea what happened to this car? I wonder if it will be repaired.
It would help if the fleet number was known.

#76569  by AmtrakFan

Ok, so when Amtrak has a number of Superliners awaiting repairs and cars breaking down, they are rebuishing Horizon Cars? Come on, who cares about the Horizon Cars? I don't. We, the traveling public, need more Superliners now!

John Poshepny

#76580  by RMadisonWI

Midwest corridor trains need equipment, too. Many Horizon cars haven't been worked on since they were delivered (though a few did receive some upgrades).

I don't know how many Superliners are still out of service and recoverable. Superliners (sleepers) are also being rebuilt.

#76669  by metrarider

RMadisonWI wrote:Midwest corridor trains need equipment, too. Many Horizon cars haven't been worked on since they were delivered (though a few did receive some upgrades).
Not to mention poor winterization on the Horizons has caused some midwest services to take superliners from other services to cover for the OOS Horizon cars in past years

The horizon cars are definately in need of a rehab, and I'm glad Amtrak is tending to them.

#76703  by Rhinecliff

In my opinion, the Horizon coaches were in need of a lot more than rehab from the day Amtrak first took possession of them. I wish Amtrak could somehow dump them.

#76710  by hsr_fan

Aside from the manual doors, what's wrong with them? (NJ Transit's Comet cars have automatic doors, so I don't understand why the Horizons don't. I think they came off the same assembly line as the Bombardier-era Comets.) They seem to be comparable to Amfleet equipment, and yes, like Amfleets they have small windows and a fairly utilitarian interior. On the plus side, like the Amfleets, they are rated for 125 mph. Being built in 1989 or so, IIRC, they should have a lot of life left in them.
 #76918  by AmtrakFan

I do apolgize for blasting Amtrak over fixing the Horizon first instead of the Superliners. However, we need get the Superliners returned to service ASAP.

Recently, I was out along the BNSF Aurora Sub and I observed three of six Amtrak's that passed without a Crew Car. BTW 7 & 8 were detouring that day. I was thinking we that out of service Crew Cars ought to be top priority. We the traveling Public need more Superliners FAST.

Yes, the Horizon need to be fixed I ride them a lot and, once, only one Bathroom was working on a sold out Hiawahta when the "W Gang" was in office. That was the worst Amtrak trip I ever had except when I was once 'bustuited' between Toronto and Chicago.

John Poshepny

#76981  by Gilbert B Norman

Amtrak evidently has a policy that passengers will board and alight only through vestibules attended by a crew member. Possibly, there are exceptions at high level platforms along the Corridor, but that 'gap' seems wide to me and I think it was further enlarged to accomodate Acelas.

Horizons are primarily assigned to the Midwest Corridor trains, where Hi-level platforms are simply non-existent. Therefore, the duties of the Conductor and Assistant should include opening the doors through which the passengers will board or alight.

In short, an automatic door on a Horizon would be just one more thing to break.
 #77009  by jp1822

If Amtrak has to substitute a Transition Dorm/Sleeper (aka Crew Car), with a regular Superliner Sleeper, then, space should be blanked out for the crew and revenue space sold for remaining spaces (day of sales). The totally separate car for the Crew is not economical for Amtrak's current state of affairs. Dividing point in the Transition Dorm/Sleeper with a curtain/door is good enough. Eastern routes operating with the Heritage Crew Cars - keep them for crew only (although it would be nice to have the lounge space developed for First Class passengers, as was planned). But once Viewliners can come online to replace these Heritage Crew Cars - blank out space for the crew, and remainder of rooms go to revenue passengers. The once combined Desert Wind/CA Zephyr/Pioneer once operated with a few crew rooms in revenue cars. Via Rail Canada does it for all their trains - what few overnight trains they operate.

Many long distance Superliner trainsets have sold out sleepers for the upcoming holidays. Are the Transition Dorm/Sleepers being pressed into service to offer additional space? I am not sure, but I doubt it! As of 10 minutes ago, I am booked on a completely sold out CA Zephyr on Dec 29th.

#77233  by scannergeek

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Amtrak evidently has a policy that passengers will board and alight only through vestibules attended by a crew member. Possibly, there are exceptions at high level platforms along the Corridor, but that 'gap' seems wide to me and I think it was further enlarged to accomodate Acelas.
On the Pacific Surfliner trainsets, all doors open automatically. There are only 2-3 attendants on board a train.

However, the automatic doors are greatly aided by the fact that the Surfliners are built close to the ground, eliminating the need for stairs between the train and platform.

With the Horizons or Amfleets, this would be much harder to retrofit because you would have to rig up some device that folds up the stairs.

#77240  by AMTK1007

The space in the Heritage Dorms was originally going to be a Smoking lounge, not a first class lounge.

#77259  by AmtrakFan

AMTK1007 wrote:The space in the Heritage Dorms was originally going to be a Smoking lounge, not a first class lounge.
What is the Lounge used for now? I would like to see Amtrak use T.S. Sleepers during the Holidays as more Revenue space like they do in the Summers. Also maybe on more Sold out trains like 7 & 8 they should use the space in the Crew Car the 8 Rooms to the Public. Note I have toured a T.S. more than once and it looked good for public use.

John