Railroad Forums 

• Stranded... on the CORRIDOR?...

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#882146  by JoeBas

While the story is full of what I think we can safely say is Hyperbole, this is the first story I've read in this genre/ilk where the people "Stranded with only ONE carfull of food and heat and light most of the night ZOMG" were not in the boonies, but square on the corridor.

"The passengers on Amtrak Train 188 -- all 408 of them -- endured a travel nightmare after their train was stranded for nearly 10 hours on Thursday night, at times without light or heat.

Train 188 left Washington, D.C. around 7:10 p.m. heading north to Philadelphia, but an unexpected electrical outage halted the train outside Perryville, Md. around 9:00 p.m. "

If Amtrak can't keep this from happening on the corridor, what chance does the LD network have?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/trip-hell-pass ... d=12426913
 #882151  by Gilbert B Norman

We have addressed this matter over at the ongoing Major Delays topic, but it appears newsworthy to such extent it deserves its own .

When I first learned of the matter, only alternative web media sites addressed it complete with transcripts of "Tweets' suggesting this was some disaster trip. The official Amtrak position as reported by the Associated Press, of 'yes, the train was badly delayed, but the passenger's well being was never an issue", was dutifully reported by recognized media (CBS Radio News for one; the ABC News link for another), but there definitely appears to be some veracity here. While I personally do not recognize the various alternative media outlets, I realize that for many here, they are the primary source of news.

The only recognized print media newssource that has covered the story is the AP, but If there is any foundation to the alternative reports, and it appears increasingly there is, I'm certain other recognized media outlets will be joining the fracas.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #882183  by goodnightjohnwayne

This one is hard to explain away. How long does it take to arrange for a relief locomotive from Washington D.C. or Phildelphia to bring the train into Perryville, MD, where buses would be waiting for the passengers? For a simple move of that sort, you don't even need a passenger locomotive with HEP, just any available MOW or freight diesel. The very fact that it happened so close to both Washington and Philidelphia would indicate that even in a worst case scenario, it would only take 2-3 hours, not 10 or 11 hours. This is totally unacceptable from any standpoint. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this incident is mentioned during Congressional hearings on Amtrak. It couldn't have happened at a worse time and there are no excuses for this sort of fiasco.
 #882199  by num1hendrickfan

From the article it seems Train 188 wasn't the only train affected by this particular power failure ( of the signal system ), however they were the only train not situated at a station during the event. Granted they were stuck 5 minutes from a station, which beckons the question, could they have moved the train to the Perryville, MD station ( probably ). Such a move would have allowed passengers access to alternative means of transportation ( although those staying with the train would have still been stuck for 10 hours, sometimes you have to deal with a delay ), and it would have allowed passengers access to the closed for the day Perryville, MD station. By any account this situation could have easily been handled a little better by Amtrak.

If any party deserves a bigger share of the blame it should be Delmarva Power. It was Delmarva's line that shorted out the signal system, not that which belonged to Amtrak. Wouldn't be a surprise if Delmarva Power probably dragged their feet in rectifying the situation on their end. This is an event that can't be predicted.

Compared to other modes of transportation Amtrak has had it relatively easy, air travel is still in disarray from the weeks storms, and for some motorists early week lake effect snow meant a snowbound night on a Canadian highway ( they were rescued by emergency services of course ). Europeans have also been hit hard by winter weather as well.
 #882216  by goodnightjohnwayne

num1hendrickfan wrote:From the article it seems Train 188 wasn't the only train affected by this particular power failure ( of the signal system ), however they were the only train not situated at a station during the event. Granted they were stuck 5 minutes from a station, which beckons the question, could they have moved the train to the Perryville, MD station ( probably ). Such a move would have allowed passengers access to alternative means of transportation ( although those staying with the train would have still been stuck for 10 hours, sometimes you have to deal with a delay ), and it would have allowed passengers access to the closed for the day Perryville, MD station. By any account this situation could have easily been handled a little better by Amtrak.
I can't imagine how it could have been handled any worse. Amtrak has faced this sort of scenario before and will again. It doesn't take very much planning and it shouldn't take 10 to 11 hours on the corridor. You would think that procedures are in place to find available diesel motive power to bring the train into the nearest station, where chartered buses take the passenger on to their respective destinations. Doesn't sound very difficult, does it? Again, it could take hours, maybe 2 or 3, but not 10 or 11.

Now even if Amtrak didn't have a Genesis passenger locomotive available at Washington or Philadelphia, which I have a hard time believing, they could still have called CSX? Even if the signaling was out, it shouldn't take 10 hours.
 #882264  by num1hendrickfan

goodnightjohnwayne wrote: I can't imagine how it could have been handled any worse. Amtrak has faced this sort of scenario before and will again. It doesn't take very much planning and it shouldn't take 10 to 11 hours on the corridor. You would think that procedures are in place to find available diesel motive power to bring the train into the nearest station, where chartered buses take the passenger on to their respective destinations. Doesn't sound very difficult, does it? Again, it could take hours, maybe 2 or 3, but not 10 or 11.

Now even if Amtrak didn't have a Genesis passenger locomotive available at Washington or Philadelphia, which I have a hard time believing, they could still have called CSX? Even if the signaling was out, it shouldn't take 10 hours.
It could feasibly take 10 hours to clear a backlog of trains amid a major signal problem, especially if they have to block and spike "A lot" of switches to provide a route. As the signal and switching is done to my knowledge electronically, a signal outage would also equate to the inability to throw the switches. What they should have done was bring the train into the Perryville, MD station at no faster than restricted speed and hold them there until the problem was cleared.

Would be nice if Amtrak had a fleet of buses on call 24/7 if this type of problem arouse, of course that simply isn't feasible. Hypothetically if they had chosen to charter buses they might not have been available until say midnight. Another thing to think about was the timing, this problem occurred at 9 pm. That leaves a lot of people to call in order to clear the downed wire, fix the signal system, and if applicable block and spike switches to move stranded trains. You're talking at least a 5 hour job. If this had happened 9 hours earlier this might have been cleared up "MUCH" faster.
 #882302  by HBLR

This is what happened between morrisville and jersey ave few months ago, the signal lines got zapped. They had to straight track the entire way from Trenton to near jersey ave. My friend was stuck in that mess and said the Amtrak train he ended up having to take to get to work (I was waiting the entire time for him in new Brunswick) only stopped in Newark and was supposed to stop at metropark. He then had to take another train from Newark to meet up with me. Whole ordeal lasted ~3 and a half hours. He said during this time all the nj transit trains on the line were stopped wherever they were even within view of station for those 3 plus hours. I imagine this train was simply in a similar situation and yes they could have moved it but if the switches can't be confirmed safe and not into an oncoming train you're going to sit till it's fixed enough to move safely.
 #882355  by JoeBas

num1hendrickfan wrote:Would be nice if Amtrak had a fleet of buses on call 24/7 if this type of problem arouse, of course that simply isn't feasible.
I don't think anyone is suggesting this... but the simple fact is being stuck within sight of a station for that length of time is a PR disaster, akin to an Airliner sitting on the tarmac in full view of a warm, comfortable terminal, while the toilets overflow and they run out of supplies. Such situations caused legislative remediation for the Airline industry.

It's bad enough, but more understandable, when this happens out in the boonies, where it could be miles to the next station and you could be in the woods somewhere/etc when the breakdown occurs. But for this to happen on the Corridor... how hard can it be?
 #882362  by hi55us

I believe we had a similar problem with a broken down train in Mamaroneck a few months ago with stranded passangers because of an equipment problem, amtrak responded by saying they are placing emergency rescue diesels up and down the corridor... apparently not...
 #882436  by jp1822

hi55us wrote:I believe we had a similar problem with a broken down train in Mamaroneck a few months ago with stranded passangers because of an equipment problem, amtrak responded by saying they are placing emergency rescue diesels up and down the corridor... apparently not...
This sounds like someone failed to follow-through on getting the job done of "rescuing" this train. Be it sending a diesel engine (of some sort) from Philly or Washington DC. I really can't see why or how something like this could have happened on Amtrak's pride and joy - the Northeast Corridor.
 #882454  by cobra30689

jp1822 wrote: This sounds like someone failed to follow-through on getting the job done of "rescuing" this train. Be it sending a diesel engine (of some sort) from Philly or Washington DC. I really can't see why or how something like this could have happened on Amtrak's pride and joy - the Northeast Corridor.
Lets wait to hear Amtrak's side of the story. You are right, the NEC is their pride and joy, and they call the shots. Whatever the reason is, it will have to be good. Remember they suffered a total signal loss...and I would venture to guess the ACSES system as well. I don't run up there so I don't know what is involved if the whole kit and kaboodle goes dark. The RR I run on (NS) lost sight and control of the entire Washington District, stopping us all in our tracks(pun intended). Granted, it was only for two hours, but we were explicitly told to hold where we were(I was able to make it to a station because I had just entered a block, but that was it). No paper, no manual block rules. Too much of a risk perhaps. Lets see how this one plays out.
 #882499  by Jersey_Mike

Here is the story as it was told to me by someone who was involved with the operation which was classified as a Level 3 Emergency by Amtrak.

At about 9:00pm, a Delmarva Power transmission line fell across all three tracks around the area of Churchman's Crossing (Milepost 36.9), north of Newark, DE. All trains were held at major stations, except 188 who had already departed Baltimore. 188 was stopped just north of Perryville, MD at 9:23 pm. The plan was to couple the last MARC train of the evening to 188 in order to get a cab car on the reverse end of 188 so that it could then be driven back to Baltimore. The MARC train waited for 188 to arrive and by the time they coupled up (12:20 am), the MARC crew was unable to run the train as they had reached their hours of service limit. Plan B was then for 188's engineer to run the train back to Baltimore, but when the time arrived engineer informed CTEC that he was not qualified on MARC equipment. At this time Tracks 1 and 2 were getting ready to accept trains at the site of the downed power line so Plan C was to uncouple Train 188 from the MARC train and have it proceed north, but before that could happen Train 188's crew reached their hours of service limit. To fix this new problem 198 departed Baltimore and dropped a relief crew off for 188. A bunch of other crews were beginning to run short on time and arrangements were being made to get them relief crews as well.

Tracks 1 and 2 were back in service about 1:00am, but at CTEC there were Track Occupancy Lights (TOL) on all the tracks near the site of the downed power line, possibly due to blown track circuit fuses. Unfortunately, the TOL's were running right through RAGAN interlocking (south of Wilmington) which locked out the switches in the plant so CTEC could only use No. 2 track through the area.

Southbound Train 55 was the first train through the affected area at 2:00am and by rule it had to run under signal indication, which were all stop and proceeds. Train 188 was re-crewed and departed Perryville at 2:10am and once 55 cleared the block, 188 was given a form D to operate under DCS rules northbound through the affected area to Wilmington. When 188 arrived in Wilmington, the power director did a "signal flip" from Wilmington to Lamokin, near Chester. I don't know exactly what this is, but it removed all signal power for a brief period of time. The intention of this signal flip was to attempt to clear the TOL's between Wilmington and DAVIS Interlocking near Newark DE. Somehow this "signal flip" went bad, and signal power was unable to be restored. This basically left no signals between Davis and Chester.

Now, 188 had just arrived in Wilmington. To get north, they had to run at restricted speed (with Rule 241s at every interlocking) up to Chester, since he was the first train to operate through that area. These TOL's also left it impossible to line routes for the southbound trains, as the route was lined for northbound trains. At about 4:00am, a C&S maintainer arrived at YARD interlocking, just south of Wilmington, north of RAGAN, to manually crank a switch (GRS model electric) there so CTEC could run southbound trains. All problems were resolved by 6:30AM.
Last edited by Jersey_Mike on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
 #882555  by Gilbert B Norman

Mike, I sincerely thank you for providing this Forum with a factual account of the events leading to 188(16) being delayed some eleven hours. It appears that Amtrak Operations was well aware that the train was delayed, but, as often happens on the railroad, a 'cascade' of events, such as first the DP&L encroachment, Hours of Service expirations, Engine crew's qualifications, and signalling equipment problems all came together in a "perfect storm' to result in the delay.

Now what remains is to what extent was passenger well-being affected beyond that of the delay itself. It appears that nothing further has been heard since the Local News reporter sent his 'tweets' into the cyberworld. While I acknowledge that this reporter was employed within recognized media, i.e. a local ABC TV outlet, he would not be the first local reporter "looking for a break' to put a little "hyperbole' into a story - especially since his "tweets" would be difficult to refute.

I'll be the first to acknowledge that even Grey Lady has had a reporter or two come and go, but who have while there did a good job to disgrace my revered New York Times.