Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak and the National Parks

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#723102  by gprimr1

I hear the Issaic Walton Inn right outside Glacier National is great for train fans.

The everglades aren't very far from Miami.

I almost did the Yosemite bus connection.
 #723118  by wigwagfan

AgentSkelly wrote:Glacier National Park, because of its heritage with the railroad has two stops in the park on the Empire Builder.
I know this is getting real nit-picky but it depends on the defintion of "in the park"...

West Glacier, a.k.a. Belton, is located at the west entrance to Glacier Park and the west end of Going-to-the-Sun Road where it meets with U.S. 2. I believe this is the busiest entrance to the park due to its proximity to the Flathead Valley (Kalispell, Columbia Falls, Whitefish) and the Glacier Park International Airport. Apgar Village is located just north of the tracks. But, technically, you aren't "in the park".

Essex (Izaak Walton Inn) is located just west of the Continental Divide and is very, very close to the southern boundary of the park. If you take Izaak Walton Inn Road from the Inn to U.S. 2, turn right, and cross the Flathead River - you enter the park. There is a ranger station, a number of trails, and an overlook...but before you know it U.S. 2 dips underneath the railroad and is again outside the park.

Glacier Park, a.k.a. East Glacier is located within a very short walk to the Glacier Park Lodge. It, like the lodges within the Park (but not the Belton Chalet or the Izaak Walton Inn) are operated by Glacier Park Incorporated and owned by the National Park Service. However...it is some two miles from the park's boundary, and some 23 miles as the crow flies from the eastern end of Going-to-the-Sun Road (the only road that runs from the western to eastern edge of the park).

So no station actually lies "in" the park, and despite the name of "Glacier Park" it is actually the furthest from the park, and West Glacier and Essex are tied for the closest as the crow flies, and West Glacier wins by actual road distance (it's about 1 1/2 miles from Essex's Amtrak stop to the nearest official entrance, albeit a remote entrance and with no access to Sun Road).

Regardless of how technical one wants to be - the fact that there are not one, not two but THREE stations that serve Glacier National Park is still a huge deal for both the Park and for Amtrak, and that it is possible to access tour vans or Jammer tours (the vintage red buses) from each of the three stations. Still, many folks stop in Whitefish to the west where one can avail themselves of rental cars and spend more time on their own pace within the park and the surrounding area which gives Glacier technically a fourth station although it is some 28 miles away. (Browning is not much of a destination, nor are there significant services available there, but it is the largest town immediately east of the park until you get to Cut Bank. But if you really wanted to, you could consider Browning another Glacier Park station.)

Compared with Crater Lake National Park which is some 30 miles from Chemult or 50 miles from Klamath Falls (albeit the park boundary is only 8 miles from the UP mainline), Mount Rainier National Park which is 30 miles as the crow flies from the NW boundary to Tacoma and over 50 miles by closest highway, Olympic National Park which is 45 miles from Olympia/Lacey and North Cascades National Park which is nearly 60 miles from Mount Vernon. On the other hand, if you want to count "Historical Parks" and "Historic Sites" Fort Vancouver is a very short distance from the Vancouver station, and the Seattle Unit of the Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park is just a couple blocks away from the Seattle station.

It should be noted that many National Parks - Yellowstone and Glacier are two prime examples - can lead their establishment to the railroads who often promoted the parks and then promoted tourism to the parks by their trains. (I'm sure it was covered in the television special but I didn't watch it.) To this day, the logo for Glacier Park Incorporated is virtually identical to the Great Northern Railroad's logo, and IIRC it was a subsidiary of the GN that built and operated the lodges within the park. The GN sold the arrangement in 1960, and in a slightly ironic twist it was purchased by Greyhound (yes, that Greyhound) in 1981. Today, the GN successor (Amtrak's Empire Builder) still serves the park, but the nearest Greyhound bus route is on I-90.
 #723120  by wigwagfan

gprimr1 wrote:I hear the Issaic Walton Inn right outside Glacier National is great for train fans.
And you can choose your pick of sleeping in a former railroad crewhouse (the inn itself), a caboose, or a F45.

http://www.izaakwaltoninn.com/

http://www.izaakwaltoninn.com/via%20Amtrak.htm
 #723124  by AgentSkelly

wigwagfan wrote:
It should be noted that many National Parks - Yellowstone and Glacier are two prime examples - can lead their establishment to the railroads who often promoted the parks and then promoted tourism to the parks by their trains. (I'm sure it was covered in the television special but I didn't watch it.) To this day, the logo for Glacier Park Incorporated is virtually identical to the Great Northern Railroad's logo, and IIRC it was a subsidiary of the GN that built and operated the lodges within the park. The GN sold the arrangement in 1960, and in a slightly ironic twist it was purchased by Greyhound (yes, that Greyhound) in 1981. Today, the GN successor (Amtrak's Empire Builder) still serves the park, but the nearest Greyhound bus route is on I-90.
Really? Xanterra didn't get a piece of that pie like the other parks?
 #723127  by gprimr1

There food is actually really good. They might be at Glacier, just not doing the transportation.
 #723151  by AgentSkelly

Ah, I just checked and Xanterra does not do any services in Glacier Park. Most of the services are provided by Glacier Park, Inc WHICH uses a goat logo like GN did. However, it notes that Glacier Park Inc is a "Vlad Company"
 #723155  by jp1822

I will admit that I stayed at the Izaak Walton Inn for three nights as I found it convenient to sort of get off the "Empire Builder" here, rent a car, and enjoy Glacier National Park, let alone the Inn itself. The Inn right in the "middle" so to speak of East Glacier and West Glacier where one gains access to Glacier National Park (particularly at West Glacier). I stayed in the main part of the Inn (not in a caboose or cabin etc.) on the second floor in an "Empire Builder" room as they called it. Accomodations were quite comfortable overall. And I am actually very picky when it comes to lodging and hotels etc. I am used to the Fairmonts of Canada and the Marriotts etc. of the US. The meals at the Inn were great and although I couldn't get Internet or cell phone service (and had to observe quiet hours between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.), I actually found the Inn to be quite enjoyable. I didn't come there to "watch the trains" or take part in "railroad lore" etc. It was more out of convenience and met the purpose. I would gladly recommend it - again ease of getting off the train and renting a car right from the Inn was really great. Menu varied and good for all meals. I met three other friends there and we enjoyed Glacier National Park as well as the Inn.
 #723156  by AgentSkelly

jp1822 wrote:I will admit that I stayed at the Izaak Walton Inn for three nights as I found it convenient to sort of get off the "Empire Builder" here, rent a car, and enjoy Glacier National Park, let alone the Inn itself. The Inn right in the "middle" so to speak of East Glacier and West Glacier where one gains access to Glacier National Park (particularly at West Glacier). I stayed in the main part of the Inn (not in a caboose or cabin etc.) on the second floor in an "Empire Builder" room as they called it. Accomodations were quite comfortable overall. And I am actually very picky when it comes to lodging and hotels etc. I am used to the Fairmonts of Canada and the Marriotts etc. of the US. The meals at the Inn were great and although I couldn't get Internet or cell phone service (and had to observe quiet hours between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.), I actually found the Inn to be quite enjoyable. I didn't come there to "watch the trains" or take part in "railroad lore" etc. It was more out of convenience and met the purpose. I would gladly recommend it - again ease of getting off the train and renting a car right from the Inn was really great. Menu varied and good for all meals. I met three other friends there and we enjoyed Glacier National Park as well as the Inn.
Something I wondered with the Izaak Walton Inn, is that when you use the train to get there, then roam the park, where do you pay the park admission at?
 #723161  by jp1822

I entered at West Glacier and had to pay the entrance fee there. The Izaak Walton Inn is actually located "outside" the Park along US Route 2.
 #723162  by AgentSkelly

jp1822 wrote:I entered at West Glacier and had to pay the entrance fee there. The Izaak Walton Inn is actually located "outside" the Park along US Route 2.
Ah. Then someone lied to me and told me the Inn is on park property...

Thanks!
 #723322  by jp1822

AgentSkelly wrote:
jp1822 wrote:I entered at West Glacier and had to pay the entrance fee there. The Izaak Walton Inn is actually located "outside" the Park along US Route 2.
Ah. Then someone lied to me and told me the Inn is on park property...

Thanks!
Well I don't know......it's outside of the "fee" area of Glacier National Park. In otherwords, you have to drive to East Glacier or West Glacier where you go to eventually pay an entrance fee and enter the Park. The Izaak Walton Inn I would say "borders" the park, but is outside the "fee zone." Not sure of the official boundaries of the Park per say. From the Inn, you drive like 25 miles west to West Glacier or 25 miles east to East Glacier. Now with that said, the Izaak Walton Inn is part of those "red bus" tours etc. So it definitely is not completely "removed" from the Park.
 #723383  by wigwagfan

jp1822 wrote:Well I don't know......it's outside of the "fee" area of Glacier National Park. In otherwords, you have to drive to East Glacier or West Glacier where you go to eventually pay an entrance fee and enter the Park. The Izaak Walton Inn I would say "borders" the park, but is outside the "fee zone." Not sure of the official boundaries of the Park per say. From the Inn, you drive like 25 miles west to West Glacier or 25 miles east to East Glacier. Now with that said, the Izaak Walton Inn is part of those "red bus" tours etc. So it definitely is not completely "removed" from the Park.
It is outside of the park. You're either in or out of (but near to) the park. It is also not attached to Glacier Park Inc. which owns/operates the other hotels save for Belton Chalet which is also outside of the park.

West of the Continental Divide, the park boundary is the Middle Fork Flathead River. In terms of straight-line distance, the Izaak Walton Inn is about 1/3rd of a mile outside of the park. However, if you drive down Izaak Walton Inn Road to U.S. 2 and swing a right and drive .6 mile, U.S. 2 crosses the Flathead and enters the park boundary.

This is not an official park entrance and you are not charged an entrance fee on U.S. 2 or to stop at the few NPS facilities along U.S. 2 (one day-use picnic area, one ranger station, the trailheads, and the Goat Lick overlook). Then again, you're only in the park for about 3 1/2 miles. At that point, the park boundary shifts from the Flathead River to the BNSF right-of-way, U.S. 2 ducks under the BNSF underpass and you're out of the park again. The railroad becomes the park boundary until you reach the southeastern corner of the Park and the boundary turns to the northwest.

According to the history of the Izaak Walton Inn (on their website) the inn was designed as both a railroad bunkhouse and for a proposed south entrance to the park which was never constructed. The GN was the primary user of the hotel until the 1960s, and in fact the GN did not even own the hotel, the Addison Miller Company owned and operated the Izaak Walton Inn until sold in the mid-1960s to a succession of private individuals who own the hotel to this day.

The Jammers are operated by Glacier Park Inc. and typically start their runs at one of the GPI owned hotels. Only one tour, the "Big Sky Circle Tour", runs on U.S. 2 and serves the Izaak Walton Inn. (http://www.glacierparkinc.com/Transport ... p?tourid=7)
 #724751  by Choo Choo Coleman

I went to Yellowstone last year and was disappointed that the park was not served by a rail line. The park almost dictates that you have an automobile to tour the park. I would think a rail/tour bus package would do good business, especially for older folks.
When did the train stop going to Yellowstone?
And with the renewed emphasis on rail by the current administration, is there any provisions for restoring rail service to Yellowstone and and other National Parks or improving current service?
 #724762  by delvyrails

Episodes of the TV series on national parks showed the Northern Pacific Railroad's loop-track terminus at Gardiner, MT, adjacent to the north entrance arch to Yellowstone. That branch line extended south to Gardiner from its main line at Livingston. Union Pacific had a branch to West Yellowstone off its main line between Salt Lake and Butte.

Looking further back and elsewhere, the Yosemite Valley Railroad operated from the Meced railroad gateway to El Portal in Yosemite. In fact, the roadbed can still be seen in the valley on the way into the park, usually on the opposite side of the canyon.

There was also a railroad of sorts to Mammoth Cave, KY.

Of course, Amtrak very much runs to Philadelphia and the Independence Hall national historical site.

It seems strange to me that railroads were forbidden within the parks themselves and only existed up to the parks' boundaries. We can pave over acres of land within the national parks for roads and parking lots; but no tracks, please.
 #724780  by Gilbert B Norman

Choo Choo Coleman wrote:When did the train stop going to Yellowstone?
And with the renewed emphasis on rail by the current administration, is there any provisions for restoring rail service to Yellowstone and other National Parks or improving current service?
Mr. Coleman, I noted earlier in this topic that if "train to the park" is a part of the experience, Glacier is the most directly accessible by Amtrak. There is also all rail access to Grand Canyon but the transfer between Amtrak and the Grand Canyon Ry involves an overnight. Since the discontinuance of Amtrak's North Coast Hiawatha as part of the 1979 'Carter Cuts', and with the likelihood of its restoration - study mandated under PRIIA '08 notwithstanding - quite unlikely, Yellowstone will remain the least rail accessible of the "majors'.

Suffice to say, the one visit I have had in this life to Yellowstone during 1972 was by auto.

Finally, as noted at a current topic originated by Ms. Bly, while rail passenger is presently enjoying a highly favorable political climate not likely seen in the past twenty five years, the emphasis is on the short distance Corridor services and not the Long Distance trains such as would serve Yellowstone.