Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1538695  by liftedjeep

SouthernRailway wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:07 pm Certainly, might be. The car I saw had very visible PC logos, even in the dark of NY Penn.
Have that good camera ready to go next time!!

Ben
 #1540378  by jhdeasy

Some PV trips that were advertised for May, but have now been cancelled by the car owners:

NORTHERN SKY + BERLIN: CHI to EMY and return.

MOONLIGHT DOME + BIRCH GROVE: CHI - WAS - NOL - CHI.

Meanwhile ...

Many are hoping the West Virginia Autumn Colors Express will operate as planned in October.

AAPRCO hopes their 2020 convention special train will operate as planned in September. They need the revenue now that membership has declined by 50 percent or more in all membership categories (car owner, associate, and trade members).
 #1540887  by jhdeasy

Under contract to the FRA, Ensco supports the operation of the FRA track geometry cars. Either Ensco, or the FRA itself, recently leased privately owned sleeper PACIFIC HOME to provide mobile lodging for personnel traveling with the track inspection cars. A week ago, DOTX 221 and PACIFIC HOME were parked at Amtrak’s Midway facility in Minneapolis - Saint Paul.
 #1542883  by Jeff Smith

Wow: Railfan.com
For people of a certain age, it might be hard to believe that Amtrak’s tubular “Amfleet” cars are now almost 50 years old. Realizing the cars’ historical significance, Rail Excursion Management Co. — the same group that revived the beloved New River Train in 2019 — announced this week that it had purchased three Amfleet cars for use in excursion service. Railexco is the first private owner of any Amfleet cars.

Budd built the cars between 1974 and 1977 as the first new passenger equipment purchased by Amtrak following its inception in 1971. Many of the all-stainless steel cars are still in use today. Railexco purchased two coaches and a cafe car.
 #1542887  by SouthernRailway

Jeff Smith wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:08 pm Wow: Railfan.com
For people of a certain age, it might be hard to believe that Amtrak’s tubular “Amfleet” cars are now almost 50 years old. Realizing the cars’ historical significance, Rail Excursion Management Co. — the same group that revived the beloved New River Train in 2019 — announced this week that it had purchased three Amfleet cars for use in excursion service. Railexco is the first private owner of any Amfleet cars.

Budd built the cars between 1974 and 1977 as the first new passenger equipment purchased by Amtrak following its inception in 1971. Many of the all-stainless steel cars are still in use today. Railexco purchased two coaches and a cafe car.
Thanks for sharing. I'll make a quick note NOT to take any Rail Excursion Management Co. trips.
 #1542910  by Greg Moore

What I can't understand is... where exactly did these 3 Amfleets come from? If they're good enough to be run a PV, why isn't Amtrak keeping them in revenue service? It's not like they're overflowing with equipment.

I get them selling their older cars, but not these.
 #1543011  by west point

Greg Moore wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:00 pm What I can't understand is... where exactly did these 3 Amfleets come from? If they're good enough to be run a PV, why isn't Amtrak keeping them in revenue service? It's not like they're overflowing with equipment.

I get them selling their older cars, but not these.
Yes they are needed now on the New Haven Springfield trains !
 #1543066  by dgvrengineer

When I was at Bear to look over the F40's Amtrak had for sale(I don't remember if it was last year or the year before) there were three Amfleet cars parked on the adjacent track. They looked ok from the outside(one did have some exterior damage), but when I looked inside you couldn't walk through them. The ceilings were falling in, wiring was everywhere, air ducts hanging down, electrical cabinet open and missing parts. I don't know if they were wreck damaged or used for parts for some other reason, but they were not in good shape. I don't know if these are the same cars and if they are, I'm sure they could be rebuilt, but at what cost?
 #1543128  by jhdeasy

For those who may feel the odd urge to ride an Amfleet I car during an excursion, I suggest the former CT Constitution Liners (originally SPV’s) owned by Foxville & Northern Railroad. These cars (first cousins to Amfleet I cars) now have current Amtrak PV certifications and are expected to operate as the lowest fare coaches on the 2020 Autumn Colors Express in WV.

From my perspective, these cars are at the opposite end of the coach spectrum from a streamliner era 44 seat leg rest coach.
Last edited by jhdeasy on Mon May 18, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.