Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Heartland Flyer Discussion and Possible Extension

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1401808  by John_Perkowski

I doubt an underfunded dining car preservation society is interested in running a revenue train.

Their dining car 741 has been sitting a Midwest Railcar, Kansas City MO, since I cannot remember when...
 #1401994  by electricron

Considering Amtrak was using those same old Santa Fe Hi-Level cars on the Heartland Flyer just a few years ago, it wouldn't be much of a back pedaling on the rolling stock.
On most days, Amtrak runs three Superliners on this train. Putting six old but newly restored Hi-Levels on this train and running two crews, it could be possible to extend this train to Newton.
 #1402085  by CHTT1

Corridor Capital has pitched those hi-levels now in East St. Louis to many people, including knowledgable types at Illinois and Michigan DOTs, as well as Indiana and a few other newbies. So far, nobody has bitten. I got a feeling those cars have a lot of problems.
 #1402088  by mtuandrew

Corridor Capital claims they're "indestructible", but reading between the lines, they're still in ca. 2002 (earlier?) as-retired condition. CC only wants to rebuild and maintain the cars once a state or operator bites on a lease (like Talgo with antiques), and has no comprehensive plan to operate them.

A shame to have the Hi-Level coaches out of service though, if CC's ransom note... er, business proposal is right about their qualities.

http://ccrail.com/wp-content/uploads/Co ... ochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1402102  by electricron

Didn't California DOT order the refurbishment of the old NJT Comets about the same time they started the RFP process for the new Surfliners? The old Comets have been in successful service for over a year now while those new Surfliners haven't proceeded past lines on an old drawing board, or should I now say on a CAD file in a computer.
 #1402116  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Stephens, with no end date set for the Nips (I drove by the Rochelle plant during August on a weekday, and nothing visible was going on), Mr. Coston could well end with a home for his cars after all.