Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak stations with no decent food

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1522951  by NaugyRR

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:56 pm Albany-Rensselaer doesn't have much either although there is a Stewarts extremely close to the station. Fortunately, Downtown Albany is right across the river.
When in doubt a couple Stewie's hot dogs can be a beautiful thing, haha
 #1523003  by Tadman

My boss is from Barcelona and I gave him a few Mikes chili dogs from Schenectady last month when we were in town for work. He politely ate them, I couldn't stop laughing. Those are darn good.
 #1523720  by jbvb

It's been a while since I boarded at Rt. 128 in Westwood, MA. But for many years there were no services at all in the industrial park it's located in. The powers that be in each of Dedham, Westwood and Canton wanted all the workers to patronize the gas stations, convenience stores and restaurants in their respective downtowns. Now there's a mall and a couple of closer food options besides walking 1/2 mile to Wegmans. But none you could get to dry-shod in a storm.
 #1523734  by ryanov

Albany-Rensselaer has a bar/restaurant called "June's" across the parking lot. Was just there the other day. Limited menu, but it does the trick. There are a few other places a few blocks away if one has a longer period of time. Personally, I prefer "The Hollow" across the river if I've really got time.

I'm generally disappointed to see all of the "this is a bad area" stuff proliferating in this thread, as it has many times before. Someone's already said that about my neighborhood on this board before, which tells me what I need to know about the reliability of this information (works out I guess, since I'd prefer people with that attitude stay out of my vicinity; there's probably a TGI Fridays on a highway somewhere that would be more their speed). Discrimination usually led to a lot of these "bad" areas, people still live in them, and there's really no need to be rude.
 #1523926  by Tadman

ryanov wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:37 pmI'm generally disappointed to see all of the "this is a bad area" stuff proliferating in this thread, as it has many times before. Someone's already said that about my neighborhood on this board before, which tells me what I need to know about the reliability of this information (works out I guess, since I'd prefer people with that attitude stay out of my vicinity; there's probably a TGI Fridays on a highway somewhere that would be more their speed). Discrimination usually led to a lot of these "bad" areas, people still live in them, and there's really no need to be rude.
Just because an opinion is held for a long time doesn't make it a fact. Your area is not safe. Newark had the seventh highest murder rate in the US in 2018.

https://www.thetrace.org/2018/04/highes ... ties-list/

Does that mean anybody walking around is going to get shot? No, of course not. I walk to a restaurant near Newark Penn Station all the time.

Also, the stereotyping of the highway being "safe" and "people with that attitude" is a bit funny. Highways are not safe, either, in comparison with other modes of travel. A highway sees 17x the deaths per 1000 passenger miles as a train. And us "people" do not eat at Friday's.

Might want to check your numbers.
 #1526275  by STrRedWolf

ThirdRail7 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:39 pm Baltimore Penn Station is quite lacking in the food department.
Thus why the Better Food Nearby thread. The Java Moon Cafe could be replaced with a Viewliner kitchen for all it's worth.

Heh... now there's an idea.
 #1526523  by TheOneKEA

BWI Marshall Station has no food options at all. I will be interested to see if any shopettes, cafes or other food options will appear when the current station reconstruction is completed or after the expansion of the platforms is completed.
 #1526553  by STrRedWolf

TheOneKEA wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:59 pm BWI Marshall Station has no food options at all. I will be interested to see if any shopettes, cafes or other food options will appear when the current station reconstruction is completed or after the expansion of the platforms is completed.
Don't expect any. The station is already reconstructed (only a taxi loop left to open up), plus it's a transfer station to the airport (free shuttle from there to the airport itself). When it goes four track wide between GROVE and WINNANS, the station will basically move north, but that's it.

That's not to say that the Hudson newsstand there should stay. They burn Eight O'Clock coffee. It can go.