Railroad Forums 

• No more charter trains

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1466905  by Greg Moore

Just saw a copy of a memo from Anderson.

Apparently no more charter trains. The claim is they interfere with normal operations. And I can somewhat believe that but...

I think this is a bad, short-sighted move.
For one, they should be profitable, since it's business you can take or leave.
For another, it's great marketing, "hey did you hear the Yankees took an Amtrak charter up to Boston to get beat by the Sox?" etc.
 #1466922  by Matt Johnson

Is this due to any real problem with operational efficiency and on-time performance, or more due to some ideological cause to eliminate more stuff?
 #1466925  by blockline4180

Matt Johnson wrote:Is this due to any real problem with operational efficiency and on-time performance, or more due to some ideological cause to eliminate more stuff?
If its the latter, and he starts eliminating LDT then it wont go over too well with the Congressmen in those districts where transportation is only supplied by rail.... Especially after the mid terms when the dems takeover, the phones will be lit..
 #1466942  by DutchRailnut

employee memo's are never found in press releases.
 #1466952  by Noel Weaver

I wonder what this policy will do to the Denver - Winter Park Ski Train? I think it is a poor move at a poor time.
Noel Weaver
 #1466953  by blockline4180

Don't know about those trains out west, but I'm sure the Autumn Express will go bye bye.. WV New River Gorge ones as well.
 #1466958  by Tadman

DutchRailnut wrote:employee memo's are never found in press releases.
In some crazy world, the railroad might also issue a press release to let the customers know what's up. Said press release might also contain language similar to the employee memo.
 #1466984  by hs3730

ESPA still has it up and they say they have contacted two private car owners who confirmed their moves were cancelled. I don't know who to believe.

I can see a logical reason behind this, though - the West Virginia grade crossing crash was high profile because it was a charter for Republican lawmakers. If, say, an NY Giants charter train had a serious incident on the way to Boston to play the Patriots, it would be another situation which provides more negative press than it otherwise would.
 #1467000  by MACTRAXX

Everyone-For added news concerning this topic:

See: http://www.aaprco.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.railpassengers.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that NARP/RPA has a April 15th date scheduled to meet with political officials in Washington.
It will be interesting to see what AAPRCO will do to keep private cars in operation on Amtrak trains.

Noel-You are right - this is a poor move at a poor time. Amtrak losing the support of AAPRCO will
affect them probably more then they think. There is nothing good in animosity here. MACTRAXX
 #1467019  by Gilbert B Norman

Messrs. MACTRAXX and Weaver, this was a great time to announce this policy, even if there are points that need be clarified. Hey, the $1.9B whopper of funding is now enacted, and by the time the FY 19 appropriation is in Committee and the Omnibus pulls up to its stop on the floor, all will be forgotten.

But it is hard to believe that Amtrak will not handle any further special moves such as Major League sports teams, the NJ legislators, the Philadelphia Orchestra, and others over the Corridor using Amtrak equipment.

Unfortunately for AAPRCO, Friends of 261, the Fall Excursion, and similar, the Adios drumhead could be out. Once again, does Delta operate "nostalgia flights" with DC-3's?
 #1467021  by SouthernRailway

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Once again, does Delta operate "nostalgia flights" with DC-3's?
Don't some airlines have some type of Christmas "flights"--which if I understand correctly just involve driving around the airport?

Hopefully freight railroads will pick up the slack and help run charter trains. These days, they sure need the revenue.
 #1467029  by Tadman

I spoke to an employee. Said employee confirmed receiving the email yesterday. &*(%$^%*$%^&^$(%^#$%@#$!!!