Railroad Forums 

• AMTRAK NEC: Springfield Shuttle/Regional/Valley Flyer/Inland Routing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1513222  by Kilo Echo

In addition to ATM availability, there are WiFi and food options. Furthermore, the general description is outdated: "The station sits on a railroad viaduct above street level; across the tracks is the former Springfield Union Station, which is undergoing a phased transformation into an intermodal center."
 #1513758  by daybeers

Does anyone know the status of the new high-level platform at Springfield?

I used Amtrak's Contact Us page to report the issue on the website. I'll update if I hear anything. I've done that a couple of times before and they answered in about a day.
 #1513784  by gregorygrice

Almost done. Plates have been removed off of Track 4 and the Track department & B&B is working on redoing the crossing and tamping the track to platform standards. Once 4 opens, they will do the same with Track 6.

Roof is about 90% complete which leaves the elevator, finishing touches on stairs and platform fixtures.
 #1514965  by Jeff Smith

https://www.masslive.com/news/2019/07/m ... -rail.html
SPRINGFIELD — Commuter trains could link Boston and Springfield in as little as 90 minutes and as often as 10 or 12 times a day, MassDOT planners said during a meeting Tuesday with rail boosters and elected officials.

MassDOT didn’t include cost estimates in its preliminary report. A final feasibility study won’t be available until sometime in the first quarter of 2020.
But to get to higher speeds, the state would have to build new tracks separate from existing rights of way, lawmakers were told.

Richard Sullivan, the president and CEO of the Economic Development Council of Western Massachusetts said that anything connecting Western Massachusetts to markets either in Boston or New York City, means growth and prosperity.
And there are physical restrictions, MassDOT said in a presentation: the existing rail line passes through rock ledges and other hard-to-build on land forms. It has CSX freight traffic on it now and, especially in the East, existing passenger traffic.

Also, Boston’s South Station is limited as far as how many trains it can accept.
 #1514967  by Jeff Smith

https://www.masslive.com/news/2019/07/m ... -rail.html
Expanded north and south passenger service, sponsored by the state, serving Springfield to Holyoke, Northampton and Greenfield begins in August or early September.
 #1515670  by Arlington

Train60 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:37 pm I'd love to know what CSX is thinking about all this...
I recommend watching at 2x speed, but here's what I learned:
This presentation was prepared without consulting CSX, but instead relying on previously-established policies developed by the NNEIRA studies (Springfield Hub).

Up to 90mph, they're expecting to have to offer CSX:
- Double track
- Signals

Up to 110mph, they're expecting to have to offer
- Separated tracks (25' away from freight, but mostly within CSX ROW)

For 150mph service, they'd have to build in the Mass Pike ROW. This is my preferred option, even if we have to start with lower speed diesel, we need to put ourselves on a 1950s alignment, not an 1850s one.
 #1515680  by mtuandrew

Arlington wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:09 amFor 150mph service, they'd have to build in the Mass Pike ROW. This is my preferred option, even if we have to start with lower speed diesel, we need to put ourselves on a 1950s alignment, not an 1850s one.
Right. There are few places in the country where it also makes sense to electrify right off the bat, with Siemens and EMD both offering 125 mph diesels now, but this is one of those places. That’s in conjunction with a Conn River Line electrification project of course; this whole thing will be a multi-billion project but will largely future-proof the northern NEC.
 #1515722  by njtmnrrbuff

I have said this many times but will say it again. West of Springfield is where the trains will slow down considerably. There is plenty of topography and curves that would make travel times by train a lot slower than driving or taking the bus from Renssalaer to Boston. The best idea that I have in mind is to have the frequent rail service end in Springfield and then have people take buses the rest of the way to Albany. In terms of trains only running between Springfield and Boston, the best bet is probably have MBTA do it. Trains that would continue down through the Connecticut River Valley would be Amtrak. Before anything happens, as others mentioned, increased capacity at South Station is a must.

C