• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ngotwalt

Engr2008 wrote:
Toaster718 wrote:
ngotwalt wrote:Sorry, my reliable source was Gene Skoropowski, former head of Amtrak California, current vp of passenger operations at FEC, and a former short list candidate to replace Ray LaHood as Sec. Of Transportation. No offense, but if he says it, I believe it.
Cheers,
Nick
How's that when Ray Lahood has already been replaced by Anthony Foxx as transportation secretary?
Boom!
Oh go boom yourself!

Here the Bloomburg Article on replacing LaHood from 2012.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-1 ... -time.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It wasn't the only place his name popped up, but it was the one I could find.

Do you understand the meaning of the word former...in this usage meaning "in the past" ? I had called Gene a reliable source, but Gene is quite active in the Amtrak yahoo group and on Trainorders and is well known. I wasn't outing anything that I felt wasn't well known (which is why when challenged, I used Gene's name. I also add that I have never met him personally) I didn't want to drop his name, but ThirdRail told me I should tell my reliable source to enter the debate here. I'm not going to do that, because I have no business telling anyone what to do (mainly because I was just being a messenger) but ThirdRail if you want to debate Gene, pay the $40 a year and do it on Trainorders or on the Amtrak Yahoo group. That is your prerogative, I don't care. I was just trying to pass something along, from someone who in the past has had highly detailed information from events like this, that are not public knowledge. As the old saying goes...don't shoot messenger. If anyone would like to clarify what actually happened, I'll gladly go back to Trainorders with that information for comment.
Cheers,
Nick
  by Jersey_Mike

I sympathize with your position. This is basically a rolling, computerized substation. However, it was explained that electric controlled parts are easier to maintain than air operated parts. No more air operated bells, windshield wipers, horns, etc.
It's a little difficult to operate an air horn without air.
  by Train538

Alright everyone, let's get back on topic. I'd imagine the moderators would especially appreciate it ;-).

These question are for anyone who has operated, serviced/repaired, or who at the very least works for the railroad: what are the most common problems that have been found recently, and how have the bug fixes with ACSES north of New York been coming along?
  by ApproachMedium

Jersey_Mike wrote:
I sympathize with your position. This is basically a rolling, computerized substation. However, it was explained that electric controlled parts are easier to maintain than air operated parts. No more air operated bells, windshield wipers, horns, etc.
It's a little difficult to operate an air horn without air.

This is nothing new. GE has had electric push button controlled horns since the 80s. Where have you been? I dont know what the complications are with "software" on these units for the horns but its not working right. The GE units have had the horns get stuck on before too because of computer glitches. I have had to go out to the yard in SSYD more than once to reboot a P32ACDM that decided it just wanted to lay its horn on high. It happens. And yes, the electronic parts are easier to maintain because they can be self contained in smaller areas. The horn control unit is on the roof. The air comes up from the air rack and compressor. Computer tells it which solenoid to open and it works. When a solenoid breaks its simple to replace. When there is air leak problems in horn lines on a plumbed system it affects the whole engines horn performance. Im sure engineers here can attest to how horrible the AEM-7 horns have been lately, and how inconsistent they are in loudness, dB etc. Crappy valves, painted over valves, sticky valves, leaks, bad seals, all play a part. Its much easier from an engineering and maintenance standpoint to run some wires and deal with some electronics than it is to deal with all that piping later on in an engines life. Software bugs aside it is the way to go.

The 612 has been delivered to Wilmington back shops today as far as I know. I do not know where the other unit is yet.
  by Greg Moore

I can understand liking the idea of "simple" horns.. pull a lever, release air... etc.

But, making it computer controlled gives you more options in the long run.
Imagine if the FRA someday mandates nose mounted radar units that sound the horn if something is in the path.
Or wayside signals that sound the horn automatically (or in quiet zones can disable it).

In theory it's a software upgrade as opposed to some sort of complex mechanical interface you have to add for each thing.

In the long run, software controlled stuff like this can far more flexible.
  by JR4815D2

No. 612 was photograph today with an AEM-7, Keystone cab car and possibly more equipment heading to Wilmington Shop as both electric units were off line. A bit dusty. Photo appears in one of the facebook pages.
  by CNJGeep

I think 80 had one today. I caught one leaving 30th Street going east with a baggage car and Amfleets at like 7:10PM.
  by srock1028

Looks like a test train with No. 609 on the point just pulled into NYPS right behind A20 which had the 603 leading.
  by srock1028

MBTA1016 wrote:Anyone know where 609 is presently?
Pulled out of NYPS at 2:15ish, not sure where it was going.
  by Fan Railer

ThirdRail7 wrote:First of all, it is unwise to listen to people that claim to have "reliable sources" on another board. Secondly, it is probably unwise to listen to Fanrailer unless he's talking about video games based upon equipment he's probably never stepped foot on, let alone operated. Even then, I'm still not sure it is wise. :P

Seriously, I want you to think about how illogical the scenario he painted is. The move pretty much occurs the same way each time:
Hey, what do you know? I WASN'T necessarily wrong. You just LOVE to shoot messengers, don'tcha?
From anon:
As an FYI, the 2 ACS-64's that were said to have been severely damaged is untrue, the are in need of new brakes but the wheels & trucks are OK. Problem was Siemens basically got the piping in them for MU brake operations switched which caused the brakes to hang several times but were finally released & train was on the move just E of Pittsburgh. There never were flames coming off the axles or trucks. I saw the 613 today on the pit in Ivy City. just thought i'd dispel any rumors.
  by ThirdRail7

Fan Railer wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:First of all, it is unwise to listen to people that claim to have "reliable sources" on another board. Secondly, it is probably unwise to listen to Fanrailer unless he's talking about video games based upon equipment he's probably never stepped foot on, let alone operated. Even then, I'm still not sure it is wise. :P

Seriously, I want you to think about how illogical the scenario he painted is. The move pretty much occurs the same way each time:
Hey, what do you know? I WASN'T necessarily wrong. You just LOVE to shoot messengers, don'tcha?
From anon:
As an FYI, the 2 ACS-64's that were said to have been severely damaged is untrue, the are in need of new brakes but the wheels & trucks are OK. Problem was Siemens basically got the piping in them for MU brake operations switched which caused the brakes to hang several times but were finally released & train was on the move just E of Pittsburgh. There never were flames coming off the axles or trucks. I saw the 613 today on the pit in Ivy City. just thought i'd dispel any rumors.

Ummm...yes you were wrong:

This is your original quote, which you posted on two if not three different boards:
Fan Railer wrote: From what I've read, it has something to do with the MU lines being improperly installed on the lower units, which caused the brakes to lock up in-transit. As to why the crew of the Capitol kept going despite the obvious problems, I have no idea.
You're entirely too ignorant to see it, so let me point it out to you.

You said LOWER UNITS...that's plural. As in multiple units. Which is completely untrue.

Which is why you should quote my entire response:

Seriously, I want you to think about how illogical the scenario he painted is. The move pretty much occurs the same wayeach time

Two engines are dispatched to the plant to pick up the engines.

They are taken to OKJ.

The next day, the same engine consist is added to train 6 and it travels some 2400 miles across the country for 2 days without incident.

More times than not, they take the same engine consist and add it to the head end of 30, where it travels to the WAS.

If there was really a problem with the mu makeup of "lower units" this would have happened before, right?

Let's forget the fact that I personally don't consider 612 or 613 a lower unit since as of now, they are the highest units. However, let's play along. If there was such an "obvious problem" with the mu makeup, wouldn't it have been noticed before the train traveled almost 2700 miles? There have been a few incidents in OKJ adding the consist to 6, but there hasn't been anything that I've seen to back up Fanrailer's story. Indeed, we just saw the 604 and the 603 on 20 last week. We also saw numerous double header tests, plus an 18 car test that had the 601 and 602. Finally, I believe it was 600 that was towed in revenue by a diesel. If the MU lines were improbably installed on the lower units, all of these move would have suffered the same fate, right?
You did not say "from what I read, it has something to do with the MU lines being on one of the units involved." Your statement was "From what I've read, it has something to do with the MU lines being improperly installed on the lower units," which is why I said your premise is illogical, since it would have been known by now.

I don't know who you are quoting this time, but as I previously indicated, the $500,000 figure is off and there is no problem with the MU makeup of the lower units as you posted. So far, this is an isolated incident, which is exactly what I posted above.

I have no problem shooting the messenger when the messenger is wrong, full of crap, doesn't know what they are talking about and/or repeating wrong information on multiple boards. Again, I challenge you to show me where this has happen on the "lower units." Which units have mu problems? You made the statement on this board and haven't backed it up yet. Your newest post is hardly vindication.

PS: Mr Nogwalt, now that you know what everyone that actually deals these units already knows and posted the full name, location, previous position, current position and resume of your contact ,I'm going to give you some unsolicited advice:

Since you have freely admitted that if he says it, you believe it, I'd like to warn you that if he ever forwards you an email or makes post on another board and it contains the words "Nigeria", "Funds", "Transfer" and "Business Transactions," don't listen to him. Please. It is a scam.
  by MBTA1016

609 in all her glory pulling the test train to Boston. Taken at Rte128/Univeristy Park station around 6:20pm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ThirdRail7

fl9m2004 wrote:Really nice pic
When is it due to head past new haven returning south
Supposedly on 2159's yellow boards out of BOS.