• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by dowlingm

Matt Johnson wrote:I vote for Nakatakatukatan.
Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
  by ChooChooCat

MACTRAXX wrote:
ExCon90 wrote:Have the railfans come up with a nickname for these units? I haven't heard of any.
EC90 and Everyone: Way back when Third Rail 7 suggested that "Catmobile" would be a good nickname and that anyone
remembering the "Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse" cartoons from the 60s era would understand why...
(Page 45-the locked "Sprinter ACS-64 Electric Locomotive: Siemens" topic)

MACTRAXX
As the Choo Choo Cat, I would definitely go with "Catmobile". The resemblance is even greater than many realize -- if you look at the catmobiles's mouth, it has an uncanny resemblance to the Amtrak logo. Perhaps the cartoon was foreshadowing transport in the 21st century!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by MBTA1016

What's the status on 612&613? Someone told me one of them survived that disaster on the capital limited. I'm just wondering what the story is
  by gokeefe

MBTA1016 wrote:What's the status on 612&613? Someone told me one of them survived that disaster on the capital limited. I'm just wondering what the story is
It's a bad rumor that caused a lot of acrimony on this thread about two pages ago.
  by MBTA1016

Does that explain the massive fight between 2 posters(I won't name them)? And did anyone else see 609? Ace I know u did yesterday
  by train2

Why, why, WHY do we need a nickname for these engines. Just call them by the model, to many railfan nicknames any way. And some are silly. Please.
  by Greg Moore

train2 wrote:Why, why, WHY do we need a nickname for these engines. Just call them by the model, to many railfan nicknames any way. And some are silly. Please.

Because they give them personality.

It's human nature.

Sure, everyone knows what a B-52 is, but BUFF gives it more personality.
Or the A-10... Warthog.

And if some are silly, great. Not everything has to be serious.
  by ngotwalt

I'm calling them Elektromotorfürdasschleppenderpassagiereinamerika!
Cheers,
Nick
  by ThirdRail7

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
ExCon90 wrote:
MattW wrote:When those here have said "on X's yellow boards" does the test train literally get a number of approach signals as goes non-stop behind the stopping train? I know it's a phrase, but I'm really curious how literal it is.
It sometimes happens, but you're not supposed to do it on any kind of train. A yellow aspect is the Approach indication, meaning proceed approaching next signal prepared to stop. If you approach the next signal expecting it to be another yellow, and if the train ahead is moving at the same speed you are, it may be; however, if the train ahead has had to stop within the block for any reason you'll be looking at a stop indication, and if you can't stop in time and hit something -- or even run by the signal and stop before hitting something -- then you clearly weren't prepared to stop, and they've got you cold.
Cab signals are in effect in this territory...and #2159 moves far too quickly for the Test extra to catch up. IIRC, ThirdRail7 stated that these test trains are limited to 110mph...that #2159 is long gone, and stretching her long legs once out of Back Bay, Boston. Seeing as I passed the test train today @ Ruggles, and they already had a Clear indication at ABS 226.1, just a few minutes after the passage of #2159

Literally. This is a common, every day thing. There are trains that depart within minutes of each other. I nthis case, 2159 is scheduled to depart at 9:15am and the test train was scheduled to depart at 9:16am, right on his yellow boards. Only the test train that had the 10004 in the consist was restricted to 110mph, so this is a 125mph movement.

AS the move progresses down the railroad, the test train in this example would get more favorable signals until the train in front of it stopped. The test train would likely get bad signals at approaching BBY, again at RTE and still some at PVD until 2159 outran him to NHV.

Anyway, the 600 was towed to NHV for training, the 611 is being prepped for its shakedown runs and the 614 is scheduled to head east towards the end of the week. Since it has been previously stated that there are mu problems with the lower units, I'm wondering how things are working out. Can someone in NHV see if the 600 is sitting there looking like it has 500,000 worth of damage? If that isn't possible and since I'm cheap (I'm not paying $40 to read incorrect information that is delivered here by "messengers" for free) perhaps someone can read TO and see how people working in Florida feels things are going.

I tried to contact my source and interestingly enough is named Gene. You may recognize him:

I met him years ago on an Albany train. After consulting with him, he thinks that ever single is related to improper mu line installation on the lower units. ACSES problems? Bad Mu lines! Windshield problems? BAd Mu Lines. Speed sensor problems? Bad Mu Lines! Delayed voltage changover? You'd better believe it is improper MU lines. If htere is a problem with employees cleaning the interior of the windshield because they can't reach them because of the cab configuration, well obviously it is because of the improperly installed MU lines on the lower units.

When I mentioned to my favorite bow tie wearing reviewer someone else with the same name may think something else, he stated that person probably set foot on an electric engine and is 1000s of miles away. He also mentioned that since he had to flee a turboliner that filled with smoke in the Empire Tunnel years ago, so he knew something of electricity.

It was hard to argue, particularly since I happen to agree with most of his movie and book reviews. After that Empire incident, he said these things have to go! Lo and behold, they went! So, if he says it, I believe it!
Last edited by ThirdRail7 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by ACeInTheHole

By the way ThirdRail do you happen to mean the 610 is being prepared for shakedowns?
  by Train2009

#601 was seen on a Regional set and #602 on a Long Distance set this afternoon at Sunnyside yard as they were both sitting there.
  by jt42cwr

Can anyone provide a quick run-down of the ACS-64's Amtrak has taken delivery of so far, and what stage of entering service they're at?
  by train2

If you must make a nickname call them: Sprinters!

And just to show you I have never heard anyone call a B-52 BUFF. And to prove my point had I heard that I would have had no indication what you were talking about, could have been an SD 4XXXX or whatever.