• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by fl9m2004

I'll probably wait till these are in revenue service to photograph them
  by MattW

When those here have said "on X's yellow boards" does the test train literally get a number of approach signals as goes non-stop behind the stopping train? I know it's a phrase, but I'm really curious how literal it is.
  by MBTA1016

Thanks fl9, I honestly think I got the only pic of 609s test yesterday :). I know two people didn't get it because of other stuff got in the way. Too bad 609 won't run up this way now after the test :(

Matt that sounds right but I'm not a railroader so idk
  by ExCon90

MattW wrote:When those here have said "on X's yellow boards" does the test train literally get a number of approach signals as goes non-stop behind the stopping train? I know it's a phrase, but I'm really curious how literal it is.
It sometimes happens, but you're not supposed to do it on any kind of train. A yellow aspect is the Approach indication, meaning proceed approaching next signal prepared to stop. If you approach the next signal expecting it to be another yellow, and if the train ahead is moving at the same speed you are, it may be; however, if the train ahead has had to stop within the block for any reason you'll be looking at a stop indication, and if you can't stop in time and hit something -- or even run by the signal and stop before hitting something -- then you clearly weren't prepared to stop, and they've got you cold.
  by ExCon90

Have the railfans come up with a nickname for these units? I haven't heard of any.
  by jwhite07

I haven't, but I'll throw one out there: Toaster II

Kinda goes along with Viewliner II...
  by emd645e3

ExCon90 wrote:Have the railfans come up with a nickname for these units? I haven't heard of any.
Some have called it the "silver butterstick." My vote goes for "deluxe toaster."
  by MattW

ExCon90 wrote:
MattW wrote:When those here have said "on X's yellow boards" does the test train literally get a number of approach signals as goes non-stop behind the stopping train? I know it's a phrase, but I'm really curious how literal it is.
It sometimes happens, but you're not supposed to do it on any kind of train. A yellow aspect is the Approach indication, meaning proceed approaching next signal prepared to stop. If you approach the next signal expecting it to be another yellow, and if the train ahead is moving at the same speed you are, it may be; however, if the train ahead has had to stop within the block for any reason you'll be looking at a stop indication, and if you can't stop in time and hit something -- or even run by the signal and stop before hitting something -- then you clearly weren't prepared to stop, and they've got you cold.
I know that the engineer wouldn't approach the next signal not prepared to stop, but I was really wondering if the test trains were run that close to the train ahead that they would actually get the yellows? Or if it was just a phrase meaning they were run close together.
  by ExCon90

Couldn't say as to the test trains, but I hope it was just a figure of speech, like someone saying "right on his heels."
  by runningwithscalpels

emd645e3 wrote:
ExCon90 wrote:Have the railfans come up with a nickname for these units? I haven't heard of any.
Some have called it the "silver butterstick." My vote goes for "deluxe toaster."
Heh, I've called it the deluxe toaster before, glad I'm not the only one!
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

ExCon90 wrote:
Cab signals are in effect in this territory...and #2159 moves far too quickly for the Test extra to catch up. IIRC, ThirdRail7 stated that these test trains are limited to 110mph...that #2159 is long gone, and stretching her long legs once out of Back Bay, Boston. Seeing as I passed the test train today @ Ruggles, and they already had a Clear indication at ABS 226.1, just a few minutes after the passage of #2159
  by MACTRAXX

EC90 and Everyone: Way back when Third Rail 7 suggested that "Catmobile" would be a good nickname and that anyone
remembering the "Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse" cartoons from the 60s era would understand why...
(Page 45-the locked "Sprinter ACS-64 Electric Locomotive: Siemens" topic)

MACTRAXX