Railroad Forums 

• AEM7 Disposition (and other motors - HHP8)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1290491  by dowlingm

If the T wanted 2nd hand electrics it could pull NJTs out of the Cutoff and have them fixed up. Probably not happening. As discussed on the thread respecting the issue, SEPTA seems to be where the best running 7ACs are destined. Keolis have a good view of what's going on at MARC from their perch at VRE so it will be interesting to see what approach they bring to the T. If there was a longer range electric plan, they could look at buying options from whatever SEPTA eventually get, or Toronto GO Transit.
 #1290509  by F-line to Dudley via Park

dowlingm wrote:If the T wanted 2nd hand electrics it could pull NJTs out of the Cutoff and have them fixed up. Probably not happening. As discussed on the thread respecting the issue, SEPTA seems to be where the best running 7ACs are destined. Keolis have a good view of what's going on at MARC from their perch at VRE so it will be interesting to see what approach they bring to the T. If there was a longer range electric plan, they could look at buying options from whatever SEPTA eventually get, or Toronto GO Transit.
Yeah. That's the other thing. GO is electrifying. Caltrain is electrifying. AMT really wants to go whole-hog electrification, but probably has to do the same thing GO did and start mass-purchasing all its commuter lines for from CP and CN to get the freight roads to drop their objections (funny how they say double stacks are incompatible with new electrification until there's a paper transfer of the ownership...then double stacks are compatible!). There's going to be a lot more electric competition served up for 2020 when these agencies take requests for first purchases or expansion purchases. A lot more dual-mode competition while electrification is at partial build-out (could definitely see California picking some duals up for Caltrain while they're at half-build and still mostly reliant on push-pull, the San Joaquin for the portions it uses the first CAHSR segment, and then shifting some units around to Metrolink when Caltrain's finished and it's their turn to start wiring). And probably the first real bi-level/multi-level, FRA-compliant EMU's that can run on the NEC's AC voltage pu-pu platter.

So what exactly is the rush? This stuff is all in the R&D departments of the major manufacturers right now, out of public view. But the 2020's are going to be a very good market for next-gen North American electrics, so agencies are going to be flooded with sales pitches in another 5-7 years. So why does it matter that not every NEC commuter railroad is using electrics today...or that they should immediately buy old beaters today? The MBTA's next loco purchase lines up with 2020, when...coincidence!...GO and Caltrain and others are stringing up wires and doing their equipment shopping. And when RIDOT's Providence-Westerly service is supposed to be a go giving the T a much larger Providence pool fleet to sustain...which RIDOT will increase its % ownership of for additional vehicle scale. We've already established why the AEM-7AC's are useless for them today; they have nowhere to service them, and can't segregate electric vs. non-electric fleets until they build somewhere to service them...which isn't going to happen in an instant. Yeah, they should make more concrete plans for electrics and it sucks that MARC went back to diesels out of spite. But are these permanent conditions? What happens if Bombardier stuffs a conventional married-pair and singlet EMU (not the power car idea they floated to NJT, but a fully conventional EMU) into an MLV carbody, and NJT and SEPTA order 250 each with a slew of options. Maybe that's what gets MARC and the MBTA into the electrics game: somebody else's economy-of-scale driving down the unit cost, and somebody else doing the teething work. Isn't that exactly how Denver got its fleet...by having SEPTA suffer through the Silverliner V blooper reel so they didn't have to?

I think we're looking way too hard in-the-moment at this. Just because an engine exists doesn't mean it fits somebody's capabilities today for immediate re-use, and just because somebody passes up an engine today doesn't mean that 5 years from now in a 5-years-from-now's electrics market they won't be in a very different place re: means and opportunity. The AEM-7AC's are not going to sit mothballed in a yard for 5 years waiting for the perfect timing on somebody else's electrification plans...then suddenly come back to life. There's only limited places they go now...pretty much just SEPTA and MARC. MARC because they can probably be bought off...I mean, they could just as easily dump their 6 underpowered GP39's and have the 10 extra diesel options replace those + cushion if they can successfully ransom some near-free AC Toasters out of their temper tantrum. I'd applaud them for their fiendish brilliance if they were able to pull off that bit of trickery. And SEPTA probably does need to get its ducks in a row about what they'll conceivably be looking at for Silverliner IV replacements before they decide if their push-pull fleet stays same size, gets bigger...which would make the short-term rentals more manageable.
 #1291854  by Matt Johnson

So I gather there are as few as one remaining HHP-8 on the active Amtrak roster! Almost extinct...which makes me curious, does MARC own its six HHP-8's? It relies on Amtrak for maintenance, correct? I wonder if those will follow Amtrak's fleet soon, or if maybe Amtrak's retired units can supply enough parts to keep MARC's fleet well supplied.
 #1291855  by ACeInTheHole

Matt Johnson wrote:So I gather there are as few as one remaining HHP-8 on the active Amtrak roster! Almost extinct...which makes me curious, does MARC own its six HHP-8's? It relies on Amtrak for maintenance, correct? I wonder if those will follow Amtrak's fleet soon, or if maybe Amtrak's retired units can supply enough parts to keep MARC's fleet well supplied.
651, 654, 655, 660.. And who knows with 661. It is my understanding that both 654 and 651 handled todays southbound Silver Star, with The Sarge on board.
 #1291908  by ThirdRail7

ACeInTheHole wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:So I gather there are as few as one remaining HHP-8 on the active Amtrak roster! Almost extinct...which makes me curious, does MARC own its six HHP-8's? It relies on Amtrak for maintenance, correct? I wonder if those will follow Amtrak's fleet soon, or if maybe Amtrak's retired units can supply enough parts to keep MARC's fleet well supplied.
651, 654, 655, 660.. And who knows with 661. It is my understanding that both 654 and 651 handled todays southbound Silver Star, with The Sarge on board.
I doubt you will see the 661 in revenue service again and things aren't looking so rosy for the 660. Then again, 654 had an issue and they put it back in service. The end is not only near...it is here.
ACeInTheHole wrote: 651 was pulling/pushing a viewliner test extra for some speed testing the other day through PJ. I had no idea the Amtrak HHPs could get along with the cab cars. My bet is itll be either 654 or 651 last man standing for the HHPs. Both seem very strong.
I was with you on the 654 until it wavered a few days ago. Hmmm. I can't remember which but one of the three listed above is due PM in early OCT. Assuming there are no meltdowns, that unit (and I'm leaning towards the 651) will likely be the next to go. So, you could be right. I'll throw my vote behind 655.

As for MARC using them for parts, that won't happen unless there is a lease buyout. If that occurs, I still doubt they will use them for a major source of parts.
 #1291912  by ACeInTheHole

ThirdRail7 wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote:
I doubt you will see the 661 in revenue service again and things aren't looking so rosy for the 660. Then again, 654 had an issue and they put it back in service. The end is not only near...it is here.
ACeInTheHole wrote: 651 was pulling/pushing a viewliner test extra for some speed testing the other day through PJ. I had no idea the Amtrak HHPs could get along with the cab cars. My bet is itll be either 654 or 651 last man standing for the HHPs. Both seem very strong.
I was with you on the 654 until it wavered a few days ago. Hmmm. I can't remember which but one of the three listed above is due PM in early OCT. Assuming there are no meltdowns, that unit (and I'm leaning towards the 651) will likely be the next to go. So, you could be right. I'll throw my vote behind 655.

As for MARC using them for parts, that won't happen unless there is a lease buyout. If that occurs, I still doubt they will use them for a major source of parts.
651 and 661 both quit on the same day, if 651 is back up already and 661 isnt.. Then we could count 661 as basically all done. So thats three to go. My bet is same as yours having thought things over, 655, but Im personally pulling for the 651.. I used to play MSTS when i was a kid years back and that was the unit featured, hence my vote being for one unit, and my bias toward another.

I also have a shot of 661 on its pentultimate run, which I will attach here later.
 #1291931  by ACeInTheHole

The 661, the day it failed on 178, leading the Silver Star out of Newark Penn Station. It seemed to be running fine, and gave no indication that its revenue service career would be over before the sun set.

My next question now revolves around the potential knockout of another unit. Ok, so 661 is gone, and 660 may very well have went behind it. Wouldnt you have to commission a couple of extra Sprinters to maintain the availability margin in the motor pool before retiring any more units? With that being said does this indicate the potential introduction of 617 and 618 to revenue service sometime soon?
 #1291951  by ApproachMedium

651 654 and 655 are the only units reporting live to the maintenance system. The other 2 units have not reported live since the 27th of last month and the 5th of this month. Which means basically their batteries have not been on since those dates. 660 looks like it just had power module problems. As long as they can source good modules from another unit, it may return. Anything is possible. There will probably be 3 HHPs left hanging around for the circus train season next year.

Marcs 6 units have all been listed active as of recently anytime I have checked. Two of them were removed from the system for the longest time but it looks like they are back in. Same Two have not reported for a while now though. I dont have much faith in the Marc units still as they never received any of the major mods as time went on like the amtrak ones have. I think Marc only paid for one or two units to receive these upgrades.
 #1291965  by ApproachMedium

ThirdRail7 wrote:
I was with you on the 654 until it wavered a few days ago. Hmmm. I can't remember which but one of the three listed above is due PM in early OCT.
Oh and BTW, there is no PM (92 Day inspection) on HHPs anymore. There hasnt been for over a year now. They are on the Continuous Maintenance Program like the ACS 64 is supposed to be.
 #1291987  by jt42cwr

Very interested in sightings of 655 in the near future, I land at JFK tonight at 22:40 and it is the only one I haven't ridden behind, so would like to do so before it's retired. Please post if you're in the know, or see it about.