Video Thoughts and Suggestions

Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

harleyfiremedic

Video Thoughts and Suggestions

Post by harleyfiremedic » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:47 pm

Hello all,

I just started to take train video along with my long standing love of photography. I have been watching as many videos, both amateur and pro, and I am starting to see exactly what to video and how to shoot it.

My question for you folks is...Do you prefer to see the complete train pass by or just the motive power and some of the consist?

Also if anyone has any thoughts on what makes good train video, please let me know. any input is welcome and I will take it and make it work for me as best I can.

Thanks in advance

Todd

Ken W2KB
Location: Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey & Tiverton, RI USA

Re: Video Thoughts and Suggestions

Post by Ken W2KB » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:22 pm

harleyfiremedic wrote:Hello all,

I just started to take train video along with my long standing love of photography. I have been watching as many videos, both amateur and pro, and I am starting to see exactly what to video and how to shoot it.

My question for you folks is...Do you prefer to see the complete train pass by or just the motive power and some of the consist?

Also if anyone has any thoughts on what makes good train video, please let me know. any input is welcome and I will take it and make it work for me as best I can.

Thanks in advance

Todd
I generally like to see the complete train, with the possible exception of a solid freight train of identical cars such as solid waste containers or the like. Then the motive power and a few cars are enough.
~Ken :: Fairmont ex-UP/MP C436 MT-14M1 ::
Black River Railroad Historical Trust :: [/url]

EMTRailfan

Post by EMTRailfan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:51 am

I also like splices of a few different trains from the same location, or a few splices of the same train at different scenes from a chase.
The trails are nice, but let's save the rails!!!
My Railpictures.net
[url=http://johngage_51.rrpicturearchives.net/]My RRPA[/url]
My NON RR pics

charlie6017

Post by charlie6017 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:42 am

I shoot video myself..........I tend to shoot the entire train, but shorten it up for unit trains.
~Charlie Ricker

Return to “Photography & Video”