Railroad Forums 

• Shipping weight of trucks?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#642873  by Otto Vondrak

How can I find out the shipping weight for a pair of Alco trucks? Specifically an S-2... A complete S-2 weighs 230,000 lbs (115 tons).

-otto-
 #642958  by BR&P

I can't find a plain English answer. But we can work backwards and get close. Working from the Alco-GE Operation and Service manual, edition of 8-51, page 209. They show total weight for 1000 hp switcher, lite, as 110 tons and with supplies, 115 tons. It also shows loco - less trucks as 76.1 tons. Since the fuel, oil and water are irrelevant to your question, I'd say that gives 33.9 tons divided by two trucks - 17 tons give or take.

You can work it another way - weight of a truck less traction motors is 12 tons, and one traction motor lists at 5,600 lbs. So 12 tons plus (2) 5600 lb motors would give you 17.6 tons.

It gives weights of everything except the engineer's hat. Why they don't show "truck - complete" is beyond me, unless it's there and I'm just not seeing it (which is not impossible :wink: )
 #643416  by Alcoman

Otto Vondrak wrote:Hrm... so I can't fit them in the back of my Jeep?

-otto-
Sure you can Otto.....Stand them up on their sides and slide them in...Just be sure to lower the back seat.
 #643825  by Tracer

I wish my wife would let me take an engine apart piece by piece and reassamble it in my backyard. :-D